How UK government identified anxiety and depression on social and offered advice
The Office for Health Improvement and Disparities and MG OMD have won the Social Media For Good category at The Drum Awards for Social Media. Here is the award-winning case study.
Here's is the award-winning activation.
The UK faced a mental health crisis in 2022 due to the compounding effects of Covid-19 and the cost-of-living crises. A campaign was needed to improve the nation's mental health, especially targeting younger adults, multicultural communities, and those experiencing poverty. The goal was to equip people to take action and direct them to the Every Mind Matters (EMM) support hub. A key aspect involved intercepting moments when individuals showed signs of mental distress and guiding them to the EMM hub.
- Mental Wellbeing Improvement:
- Develop a campaign to protect and improve mental wellbeing.
- Direct individuals showing signs of mental distress to the Every Mind Matters support hub.
- Generate 1.99 million actions.
1. Language Analysis on Social Media:
- Leverage the insight that language changes during mental distress.
- Collaborate with Texture AI to combine AI with linguistics to identify implicit signals in people's language on social media.
- Identify signals such as tense classification, use of absolute words, and specific linguistic patterns indicating mental distress.
2. Technology and Psychometric Testing:
- Use Texture's technology to analyze >50 million tweets to assess language patterns.
- Conduct psychometric testing on a panel of identified users using the Office of National Statistics' "Measuring Wellbeing Scale."
- Utilize Meta's lookalike capabilities to scale the seed audience continuously throughout the campaign.
3. Creative Approach:
- Develop creative content encouraging individuals to be 'kind to their mind' and take self-care actions through EMM resources.
Targeted Approach with Texture AI:
- Impressions: 7.8 million.
- Reached 938,000 unique users.
- Achieved a 25% higher Click-Through Rate (CTR) compared to standard targeting.
- 22% lower Cost Per Click (CPC) compared to the rest of the campaign.
- Exceeded campaign expectations with positive actions reported by 4/5 adults.
- Individuals who reported taking positive action due to the campaign continued to do so at least two months later.
- Outperformed the target by 56%, demonstrating a positive and sustainable impact on the nation's mental health.
The innovative campaign, utilizing Texture AI's technology to analyze language patterns on social media, proved highly effective in reaching and engaging individuals showing implicit signs of mental health issues. The higher CTR and lower CPC indicated the efficiency of this targeted approach. The sustained positive impact reported by individuals demonstrated the success of the pioneering and innovative strategy in addressing the mental health crisis.