The Automotive issue is available now: Richard Hammond and James May guest edit The Drum
“It’s the greatest period of change the car has seen since it was invented.” That’s how no less an authority than James May summarizes the current state of the automotive industry.
And that’s why we’ve let May – along with fellow founder of automotive online community platform DriveTribe and co-host of The Grand Tour, Richard Hammond – take the wheel of The Drum for our new issue, out now.
With driverless cars on the horizon, electric vehicles growing in popularity and tech startups disrupting decades-old marques, the automotive industry is finding itself at a crossroads.
Now it not only has to question what cars are for today, but figure out what cars could be tomorrow. Enter our guest editors. There can be no two people better qualified to steer us through this fascinating new terrain than media’s most noteworthy (and occasionally notorious) motoring aficionados.
The former Top Gear presenters, along with the team at DriveTribe, have helped us to uncover what will happen to marketing as the changing capabilities of cars intertwine with the changing expectations of their drivers.
The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.
Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.Sign up
In this issue...
- In The Driver’s Seat: James May and Richard Hammond tell us why they’re excited by the future of cars, and what they think marketers should be paying attention to down the road.
- Creative Works: Our guest editors and the DriveTribe team take the wheel of Creative Works as they spin through their favorite automotive advertising moments.
- Paved With Gold: As cars evolve, so too will the roads on which they drive – our highways depending as much on accessing our data as they do on asphalt.
- Are We There Yet?: With connected cars becoming hubs for gaming, viewing and shopping, we ask what’s in store for in-car entertainment.
- One For The Road: If technology does do away with driving, what will we get up to en route? From cars as bars to mobile mental health sanctuaries, we take a look.
- Learning To Share: As we gear up for dramatic decline in car ownership, what new models are manufacturers and marketers designing for next gen drivers?
- With Knobs On: We consider how marketers will market their cars in a future where the main differentiator is the tech inside the cabin.
- Vending Machines: The car dealership is no longer fit for purpose. So is it time to trade it in? We consider how cars will be sold in the future.
- Wheels In Motion: From wheelspins to witticisms, horsepower to humanity, we take a high-speed road trip through the evolution of auto ads.
- Voxpops: From McLaren’s social media director to Formula 1’s chief engineer, we quiz the automotive industry about how technology is disrupting their world.