After a week packed with star-studded panels, talks and awards, all washed down with a regular schedule of happy hours and martinis - there's bound to be some gossip from Cannes Lions 2019?
As Cannes Lions draws back into its cave for another year, The Drum rounds up snippets of gossip from another year on Le Croisette.
- Former boss Sir Martin Sorrell has been compared to Harry Potter nemesis Voldemort within WPP it seems as he was referred to on several occasions by different chiefs as ‘he who shall not be named’ on their beach this week during meetings.
- Which agency founder was so drunk that he had to do an emergency poo in the bushes of the Carlton?
- Which trade body chief filmed a video tour of his ‘love room’ that he was accidentally booked into - which included both a comfortable bed and jacuzzi?
- Which production company closed the paid-for bar at their annual party only to be met with anger from the crowd and leading to one drunk party goer to tip it on its side in response as the baying crowd who still had free drinks tokens demanded more booze be served to them?
- With the climate crisis Extinction Rebellion activists in town and living on a campsite outside of the town; they were visited there and followed around by local police yet still managed to protest on both the Palais Red Carpet and get onto Facebook beach to display a banner in the sea. No police were present during their last-minute panel session held at The Drum Arms despite the promotion of their attendance there. Listen to the session here
- Which network agency chief needed directions on Le Croisette from a trade journalist to find his own drinks event on a beach?
- Which trade journalist got her pillow featuring an illustration of Hollywood superstar Jeff Goldblum signed by the legend himself in person?
- Which agency network flew out its procurement team after a cull on awards entires?
- Which major US media company set up a pop-up space near the beach complete with a mini swimming pool?
- Despite all the talk by major conglomerates of stamping it out, single-use plastic was definitely still on evidence in some beach fronts.
- Which trade editor was so hungover during a breakfast meeting with a number of people including DJ Edith Bowman that they were complimented for the brevity of their responses?
- Which consultancy exec was caught belting out the Oscar-winning Disney Classic ‘Let it Go’ on the karaoke at The Drum Arms?
- Which consultancy boss was repeatedly told off by his comms team for refusing to remove a cap he had picked up bearing the logo of one rival Dentsu Aegis throughout the week?
- Accenture Interactive may have given their cool credentials a boost when global chief Brian Whipple enjoyed a couple of pints of ale during his afternoon debate at The Drum Arms with Sir Martin Sorrell and then invited some of the other bosses who had come along to relax afterwards at the pub before heading to their next meeting.
- Spotted running the early Monday 5k Catch Me If You Can race organised by MarketMakers were chiefs from ISBA, IAB and the Advertising Association with marketing execs from GSK, The Drum, Luma Partners and many more...
Want to know more about Cannes Lions 2019? You can find a round-up of our Cannes coverage here.