Top Gear presenter Chris Evans has resigned from the show, with the BBC confirming that the host will not return for a second series.
Evans announced the news on Twitter, telling fans that he had given the gig "his best shot," praising the revamped TV show's team.
Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best.
— Chris Evans (@achrisevans) July 4, 2016
In an official BBC statement Evans said: “I have never worked with a more committed and driven team than the team I have worked with over the last twelve months. I feel like my standing aside is the single best thing I can now do to help the cause.
"I remain a huge fan of the show, always have been, always will be. I will continue to focus on my radio show and the allied events that it encompasses.”
It is believed that co-host Matt LeBlanc is likely to stay on, to be joined by a new co-presenter.
The BBC2 show finished the most recent series with its lowest ratings since 2002, reaching an audience of just 1.9 million people – less than half of its launch overnight audience of 4.3 million.
Mark Linsey, director of BBC Studios on Top Gear added: "Chris is stepping down from his duties on Top Gear. He says he gave it his best shot doing everything he could to make the show a success.
"He firmly believes that the right people remain, on both the production team and presenting team to take the show forward and make it the hit we want it to be. The new series has so far notched up over 30m views in the UK alone and has already been sold to 130 territories worldwide."
Evans will continue to work for the BBC as host on his BBC Radio 2 breakfast show, as well as on programmes like Children In Need.