The Drum Awards for Marketing - Extended Entry Deadline

-d -h -min -sec

Thinkbox BARB Drum News

Average UK viewer watched 47 TV ads per day in 2011


By The Drum Team | Editorial

January 24, 2012 | 1 min read

A survey conducted by Thinkbox using Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board (BARB) data has found that the average Briton saw up to 47 TV ads a day last year, an increase of 2.6% on 2010.

Television viewers in the UK watched an average of four hours and two minutes of linear programming every day of the year, with commercial television rising to become 64% of all TV viewed.

It was found that 90.6% of TV was watched live, with the remaining 9.4% “time shifted” viewing on recorded digital devices.

Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox's managing director, said: "These figures explain why so many tech companies want to join the TV industry. Many companies are flocking to launch new TV services or social media services that feed off people's love affair with TV.”

Thinkbox BARB Drum News

More from Thinkbox

View all


Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +