29 October 2013 - 12:47am | posted by | 34 comments

Fury at Facebook as login requests “Government ID” from users

The Twitter community has expressed outrageThe Twitter community has expressed outrage
Fury at Facebook as login requests “Government ID” from users

Thousands of Facebook users have vented their fury at the social media site on Twitter after they were locked out of the site, and were requested to provide “Government ID” to log back in.

Similar mass lockouts have occurred on Facebook in the past, most recently in January this year. At that time, the ID request was in response to claims that users’ accounts had been hacked.

“This is just a general practice for both Facebook and Instagram to request photo IDs for verification purposes depending on what type of violation may have occurred,” Facebook said at the time.

This is the first mass lockout and ID request to have taken place since the NSA government data trawling revelations, and it seems to have outraged users to a greater extent.

Facebook has issued a statement to The Drum to apologise for the error.

UPDATE: Facebook has since issued an apology for requesting a 'Government ID' to sign in. It is believed that there was no security reason behind a request; merely a mistake on behalf of the social networking site.

Comments

29 Oct 2013 - 00:56
dislo15004's picture

THANKS for the news article! I'm also affected by this.

29 Oct 2013 - 15:37
SUPER52334's picture

@dislo15004 DO WHAT I DID. LET THEM KEEP IT! THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES. THEY KEPT SUSPENDING MY ACCT OVER MAKING PRO-GUN COMMENTS. IF YOU NEED TOO CREATE SEVERAL NEW ACCTS WITH INVALID INFO. THIS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN.

29 Oct 2013 - 02:36
fakee44162's picture

google+ is going to love this.

29 Oct 2013 - 04:35
crACK11460's picture

get off facebook ya tools

29 Oct 2013 - 04:39
himle18496's picture

Thanks Obama

29 Oct 2013 - 09:43
linkslinkslinks

serves them all right for using that piece of shit website

29 Oct 2013 - 10:03
colinbancmedia's picture

Guessing these people all got hacked/phished... judging from the spelling of the tweets I'd say it adds up. 'Oh noez I logged in at faicebook.com and now I need to provide ID god I h8 them'

29 Oct 2013 - 15:34
rantsfromron20156

@colinbancmedia Doesn't pay to get too smug when you think people tweet on FaceAche.

29 Oct 2013 - 11:06
benjaminbicker

is this just for the yanks or the UK people as well - i'm unaffected

24 Nov 2013 - 15:16
d50a167479's picture

@benjaminbicker they leave you limey's alone because you can't walk out your front door with out big brother watching you on all of his CCTV.

29 Oct 2013 - 11:11
brush17701's picture

colinbancmedia hahahaha

29 Oct 2013 - 12:32
paul_whitaker's picture

This doesn't surprise me in the least; the world has gone password mad! And, be warned, it's getting worse and I'm up to here with it. I can understand banks/finance wanting one but my online wine supplier demanded a password the other day. As I said to them, I'm buying wines, not *******Kalashnikov rifles, so I'll pop down to my local supermarket and get the drinks...

29 Oct 2013 - 12:33
paul_whitaker's picture

@paul_whitaker

29 Oct 2013 - 13:12
thedr77278's picture

@paul_whitaker so... You don't understand why you'd have an account to buy stuff on a website?

29 Oct 2013 - 15:41
rantsfromron20156

@paul_whitaker Every online retailer requires customers to set up a password-protected account. So, apart from being a Luddite, what's your problem?

30 Oct 2013 - 22:09
snertly

@rantsfromron20156 How many other sites ask that you send or upload government issued documents in order to participate in the site?

29 Oct 2013 - 17:25
Isthishowitis

Who needs facecrap its been a CIA database since the begining, it got heavily promoted by CIA money to kill of rivals like Bebo, MySpace Hi5 and all the others that were around during the launch of facecrap. CIA just needed a central social media site whgere everyone could upload their pics for facial recognician analysis and all their data.

29 Oct 2013 - 18:50
AWChe24685's picture

This is really funny. People seem to be upset when their voter registrars request photo ID to prove identity when they vote, but now FACEBOOK is requesting photo ID ONLINE?? How do they match up. Sounds like the billions of dollars they've made on their social site isn't enough...they're looking to perpetrate IDENTITY THEFT! It's really the only logical explanation.

29 Oct 2013 - 20:23
strandedinsonoma

Facebook will do whatever the gov't says. If the police ask Facebook for all of your information, they will get a 5 foot high stack of paper with everything about you. Your profile, your friends list, profiles about your friends, every comment you've ever made, every comment or photo or video you've liked. Nothing is left out. And all without a warrant. It's public, you see. If any of this surprises you, you're not paying attention.

29 Oct 2013 - 21:23
scriv48982's picture

May not have been Facebook, but U.S. mil-intel POSING as Facebook, says this veteran journalist who wrote about a similar incident here: http://viclivingston.blogspot.com/2012/03/us-cyber-censorship-regime-fak...

29 Oct 2013 - 22:04
truespence

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

29 Oct 2013 - 22:27
rwood50415's picture

My guess is they changed their names too many times on Facebook. Facebook does give you a warning when you change your name that they will only let you do it so many times

30 Oct 2013 - 22:05
snertly

Zuckerman had a bet going with a couple other Facebook honchos. Something along the lines of "Let's see how many will do any damned thing I ask."

31 Oct 2013 - 15:17
steve20751's picture

and currently no change still asking for government id and been locked out for 3 days now and yeah like hell I would ever upload anything like that

2 Nov 2013 - 23:29
LeibowitzCandle

Try WorldTruth.org the safe and secure Facebook alternative. We don't datamine and we sure as hell will never ask you for any kind of id!

4 Nov 2013 - 06:46
breck71221's picture

For your security and privacy of course.

4 Nov 2013 - 06:48
breck71221's picture

Funny, you have to log in to facebook to get in here to vent your frustration against FB

4 Nov 2013 - 22:19
abinicowarez7

Don't use FB ever again.

5 Nov 2013 - 10:08
andre94966's picture

Why people still use FB? We could see this coming...and it is only the beginning.

20 Nov 2013 - 20:38
crystalblackburn5

They did it to me yesterday, its still happening

21 Nov 2013 - 10:15
tyhyc62363's picture

Facebook Shut down my account Yesterday.no reason..Requiring Govt ID..I just saw where Google+ just shut down Dutchsince Youtube channel..no reason..requiring ID..I searched online to see..and its Instagram too..this is Prepping for the RFID takeover..this is a VIRTUAL POLICESTATE action..its a Test.. AND it Won't STOP..TILL WE ALL COME TOGETHER ON IT..AND SAY NO...THE TIME IS NOW..TO BOYCOTT ANY SITE changes the Rules..This Is SERIOUS!

31 Dec 2013 - 20:34
gwend16098's picture

Just happened to me today as well.

1 May 2014 - 02:45
Roger Hulth

FYI I provided the above requested ID, they asked for even more information, proof of age etc asking for my birth certificate, this has to be legall, isnt there a way to file a class action ??/ Not like the guys asking for this info are US based. This HAS to be NSA driven

8 May 2014 - 07:11
S_KTT's picture

This is also true for another social network, LinkedIn in this case. They have asked me for my government issued ID in order to give me access to their network.

"Due to the activity we've found associated with this account, we'd first like to see a scanned image of a valid government issued photo ID (for example: a driver's license or passport) that has your:

• Photo • Name • Signature • ID expiration date (if present)

This will help us verify your identity and allow you to access your account again.

Note: We request that prior to submitting your government issued ID, you cover the identification number on the copy of the document. We're using this information solely for the purpose of validating your identity and assisting you with re-accessing your account. We'll remove any and all copies of identity you've provided once this specific issue is resolved. Please note that if this issue comes up again, we may require you to present this information again.

I look forward to your response."

Sports Bra Award Win

19/12/2014
Our super-star lingerie client, Wacoal Eveden, is...

Malibu - creating the perfect brand moment to enhance engagement

17/12/2014
The challenge How do you change customers’ perception of...

Driving Sales From Social During Black Friday

16/12/2014
The craze of Black Friday crossed the pond and hit the UK...

BREACH: LETS JACK

16/12/2014
‘Jack’ – the infectious track by British producer Breach...

Launching the Seasonal Cities App

15/12/2014
In Q3 2014 Rooster was tasked with launching the new travel...