The following list includes practical advice across search engine optimisation, content marketing and conversion rate optimisation:
- Aim to keep your title tag below 55 characters with your most important keywords near the beginning.
- It is best keep Meta descriptions between 150-160 characters. Search Engines cut them off after 160.
- Site speed has a direct effect on your SEO rankings. Check it here.
- Blogs are better off on a sub folder not a sub domain. Use ‘example.com/blog’ not ‘blog.example.com’.
- Well-written descriptions can increase your click-through rate in the SERPS.
- Include social share buttons on all relevant pages.
- Are you making use of video? Youtube is the world's second largest search engine. 80 per cent of internet users watch video and 60 per cent share it.
- Spell check, spell check, splel check - the smallest mistakes make your business look unprofessional.
- Ensure you’re using site search on your website - it’s a great way for users to find content and it can be tracked in Google Analytics.
- Set up Google Demographics tracking in your analytics to find out your users age, gender and interests.
- Make use of testimonials, case studies and reviews to build trust with your users. Trust Pilot is a great tool to use.
- Make a friendly 404 error page to guide users back to hot spots on your website.
- Use www.copyscape.com to check your content is unique.
- Don’t make the user enter the same information twice when filling out forms or in the checkout process.
- Bounce rate and exit rate stats are as important as the overall traffic levels in understanding if your site is performing well.
Andy Donaldson is a Director of HitSearch.