Consumer packaged goods (CPG) companies will now have better insights into what ads actually translated to purchases and will be able to optimize their ad campaigns accordingly, thanks to a new partnership between Verizon Media and Catalina.
Verizon Media is now the first demand-side platform (DSP) to integrate with Catalina’s powerful shopper data. For those unfamiliar with Catalina, the company has access to 236 million shopper cards, making it one of the preeminent suppliers of consumer package goods sales data.
Verizon Media, meanwhile, boasts that its brands (including Yahoo!, TechCrunch and AOL) reach 900 million consumers across the globe. Together, Verizon Media and Catalina aim to help CPG brands see the impact of their ads on both online and in-store purchases in real-time. Here are the details:
What the partnership entails
- Verizon Media’s DSP will be integrated with Catalina’s shopper data. The integration maps sales data directly to Verizon Media’s identity graph — part of its new unified ID solution announced in December in response to the imminent demise of the third-party cookie. The ID graph encompasses hundreds of millions of unique identifiers of consumers who use the company’s suite of products or interact with its brands.
- The partnership involves two primary solutions. The first is ‘inflight sales analysis,’ which matches up media exposures with purchase events via Verizon Media’s identity graph. This solution helps advertisers track the effectiveness of specific campaigns in real time — down to the individual user level.
- The second solution outlined in the announcement, ‘post campaign measurement,’ offers CPG marketers independent validation of sales impact, using unique parameters established by Catalina’s and Verizon Media’s sales lift measurement.
Why it matters to marketers
- Catalina maintains direct relationships with most grocery stories, in addition to a range of general, convenience and value stores. Plus, the company has access to 236 million unique shopper cards. Access to Catalina data through the Verizon Media partnership will help CPG marketers not only reach target audiences with greater ease, but also significantly expand their reach, per the joint statement today.
- With access to both inflight and post-campaign measurement, marketers can apply data-based insights to help optimize their marketing efforts.
- Connecting Catalina’s data with Verizon Media’s household- and user-level insights helps create a more comprehensive picture of the consumer journey for CPG marketers. According to Verizon Media, this includes cases in which the user exposed to the media is a different person than the buyer. The company said in a statement: “traditional measurement solutions will credit the head of the household on loyalty card purchases. Leveraging Verizon Media's ID Graph's power, the credit goes to the person in the household exposed to the campaign, providing a deeper understanding of the true high-value consumer.”