The top ten shows on Netflix and Hulu in July 2015: Seinfeld investment pays off
Netflix and Hulu continue to offer top premium content in a new world of TV. SimilarWeb is continuing to provide Found Remote with an exclusive look at what shows are doing best on each site. To Hulu's delight Seinfeld has moved to the top stop proving to be a smart investment for the platform. Here are the charts followed by analysis.
- Orange is the New Black tops the Netflix charts once again and by far outperforms the second most popular show for a second month in a row. But last month, following the launch of its 3rd season, OITNB garnered over 50% of the top ten shows while for July, it’s a mere 27.
- As the Game of Thrones season came to an end in June, the audience is going back to repeats of shows from back in the day. Friends, more than a decade after the airing of its final episode, comes in second and The Office third, while How I Met Your Mother and Breaking Bad make the July Top 10.
- The second season of Netflix original, BoJack Horseman was released July 17 and showed pretty good engagement with the audience, coming in 5th in popularity.
- After becoming available on June 5th and placing 2nd on last month Netflix Top 10 , Sense8 did not seem to satisfy expectations fell to the 9th place in July.
- Overall, comedies dominate July Netflix Top 10, from Orange is the New Black to Family Guy to Parks and Recreation.
- Seinfeld never seems to be outdated. With 25% of the Hulu Top 10, Seinfeld moved from ranking 3rd in June to 1st in July. Seinfeld ended in 1998, 17 years ago, but still captured a quarter of the Top 10.
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart dropped one spot since June to come in at a close second. It also captured close to 25% of the Top 10. With the last show airing August 6th, it is understandable that viewers wanted to say goodbye by binging on past episodes.
- While comedies dominated with over 50% of the Hulu Top 10, reality shows The Bachelorette, Master Chef, and America’s Got Talent accounted for almost 25% of the Top 10.
- Fox’s Wayward Pines sci-fi drama premiered in May, and consistently draws a reliable audience on Hulu. It placed 5th on the Top 10 for July, up three slots from June.
- The Strain makes its Top 10 debut at number 8. The second season aired on July 12th and despite reportedly being down in the ratings, this FX horror drama shows promise and has received positive reviews.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.
The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.
Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.Sign up