The Drum Awards Festival - Extended Deadline

-d -h -min -sec

Right To Be Forgotten Bing

Bing begins implementation of ‘right to be forgotten’ ruling


By John Glenday, Reporter

November 28, 2014 | 1 min read

Bing has become the latest search engine to abide by the so-called ‘right to be forgotten’ whereby search engine removal requests must be considered from users.

The ruling was made by the Court of Justice of the European Union on 13 May, since which Google has received in excess of 20,000 ‘right to be forgotten’ requests from the UK alone.

Now Microsoft will also commenced responding to such requests with the first links already having bene pulled under the new regime.

All such removal requests are being handled via, which has received 699 demands since 23 July representing 2,362 distinct URL’s. Thus far 79 have received a formal response from Bing. In this time Bing has accounted for 22 per cent of all removal requests made via with the remaining 78 per cent concerning Google.

Amongst the reasons given for link removals are identity theft, invasion of privacy and criminal proceedings.

Right To Be Forgotten Bing

More from Right To Be Forgotten

View all


Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +