The Drum Awards Festival - Official Deadline

-d -h -min -sec

Kate and William sue Closer magazine

Author

By The Drum Team, Editorial

September 15, 2012 | 2 min read

St James’s Palace has confirmed that The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have launched legal proceedings in France against Closer magazine, following its decision to print topless pictures of Kate while on holiday in Provence.

The editor of the French publication, which is owned by Silvio Berlusconi’s publishing empire Mondadori, has defended her decision but Royal French media lawyer Jean Frederic Gaultier of Olswangs told the Guardian that under French criminal law, the magazine could face a fine of up to €45,000 (£36,000) and the editor could be jailed for up to 12 months.

In a statement, a spokesman for the couple said: "St James's Palace confirms that legal proceedings for breach of privacy have been commenced today in France by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge against the editor and publishers of Closer magazine, France."

"The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to the duke and duchess for being so.”

Both Kate and William have previously been involved in legal battles regarding breach of privacy. After picture agency Rex distributed photos Kate during a private holiday in Cornwall, she took legal action and received an apology, damages and legal costs. William also took action against the Mail on Sunday in 2006 after it published extracts from his diaries.

Trending

Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +