After conducting a deep-dive analysis of the FIFA Facebook community, Collective identified that it was the Goals of the Week content that consistently provided the highest levels of engagement. However, despite these high levels of engagement, it was obvious that the activity wasn’t working to its full potential. The process for submitting a goal was too convoluted and time-consuming, which was impacting the number of people who were getting involved.
Collective identified that there were a number of ways to increase the number of people participating in Goals of the Week, and to improve the user experience for players and judges. Specifically:
• ‘Powering up’ the engagement of casual fans
• Increasing awareness of the activity
• Making it easier to upload goals
• Making the process more social by including share options at every stage and including the FIFA community in the judging process by empowering them to have the deciding vote on winning videos
• Providing a simple way for judges to review goals and shortlist the ones for the community vote
Collective created a unique Goals of the Week application for Facebook and the official FIFA 13 web site that was live in time for the release of the first demo version of the game.
Posts on official EA blogs and social media channels directed players to the app, creating a single point of entry for all goals. Once at the app, the journey was simple and intuitive, with three steps presented to get involved in Goals of the Week: 1) enter your goal, 2) vote on other goals, and 3) watch the previous winners.
A streamlined uploader widget meant players could upload their entry in seconds using just their Gamertag, email address and a URL, and simple, easy-to-follow instructions were also provided to help those who were doing it for the first time.
A voting system was introduced, which not only greatly reduced administration time for EA, but also put the community at the centre of the activity by giving them responsibility for choosing the winning entries. Knowing that the community would decide the winners also incentivized those shortlisted to share their video amongst their friends, spreading awareness of the activity amongst those outside of the FIFA community.
Finally, Collective created a bespoke admin tool for EA to let them manage entries on a weekly basis. The tool allowed them to review, rate, collate and post goals, effectively allowing them to create the ‘Goals of the Week’ video dynamically.
The response to the activity was instant and stunning. The first month saw:
• Submissions of goals increased by over 350%
• Views of the ‘Goals of the Week’ video increased over 400%
• Over 1,000,000 people viewed the ‘Goals of the Week’ videos in the first month after the launch of the app
• Time required by EA to manage the activity reduced by 80%
You will be sent a verification email. Click on the link in the email to post your comment.