Insights into the perfect pitch
Welcome to The Drum Network’s new business bites series, which aims to divulge bite sized pieces of wisdom for agencies in gaining new business. New business is always at the top of the agenda for most of the 30,000 agencies in the UK, but is there enough new business for all of them? New Business Bites is here for small to medium sized agencies to gain some tips in winning new clients and building their pipeline. Bites are provided by new business connoisseurs each week.
James Brooke, MD Rooster PR
This week we have James Brooke, Managing Director of Rooster PR, who has given us some dos and don’ts in the pitching process. Pitching is a connundrum that every businessperson will face in their career. James has provided some general guidelines to follow when approaching the all important P-day.
Don’t pretend to know more than you do – You might be an expert in your field, but never assume you know everything about your potential client’s business. Be honest with both your attributes and drawbacks and you’ll find people are more open to a collaborative work relationship.
Leave the jargon at the door – Every sector has its particular phases and terminology, but when you’re pitching to someone outside the sector, don’t drag them down with a jargon-laden pitch. You’ll only come across as poor communicators and tie your potential client in knots.
Show your enthusiasm - Obviously you shouldn’t pitch for a company if your heart is not in it, but you should ensure that you make an extra effort to display your passion during the pitch. If you’re not excited before the work has even begun, then how do you expect anyone to let you loose on their brand?
First impressions count - By the time you’ve got to the pitch it’s likely the company you’re in discussions with will have a pretty good impression of your business. From your website to the initial phone calls, make sure you have everything geared towards impressing new clients like it is part of the final pitch.
Relationships are key – At the end of the day, the personal relationships between you and your client are the most important thing. We’ve had pitches that went perfectly but didn’t result in new business, while other clients I’ve met initially at the bar and have had fruitful relationships ever since.
Content by The Drum Network member:
Rooster PR is an award-winning independent PR & digital communications agency based in central London.
We connect brands and businesses with their target audiences, generating media endorsement and audience engagement to deliver a real commercial advantage.
Recent awards include:
- 2020 PR Moment Awards: Shortlisted for 'Community Engagement Campaign of the Year'
- 2020 Travel Marketing Awards: Runner Up for 'Social Media Campaign'
- 2019 International Travel & Tourism Awards: Finalist for 'National Tourism Board Campaign' & 'Best in Adventure Campaign'
- 2019 TTG Awards: Finalist for 'PR & Representation Company of the Year'
- 2019 Sabre Awards EMEA: Finalist for 'Travel & Tourism' campaign for Cyprus (Say Hallou-mi)
- 2019 PRmoment Awards: Finalist for ‘Boutique Agency of the Year’ & ‘Culture, Media, Sport and Travel Marketing Communications Campaign of the Year’ for Cyprus (Say Hallou-mi)
- 2019 Travel Marketing Awards: Winner & 2nd Place for 'PR Stunt/Experiential Event' for Ras Al Khaimah (Creating the Closest Thing to Flying) and Cyprus (Say Hallou-mi), Runner Up for 'PR Strategic' campaign for WOW air and 2nd Place for 'Best PR Agency'
- 2018 Travel Marketing Awards: 2nd Place for 'Best PR Agency' and Runner Up for 'PR Tactical' for our 'Stop Control Freaking' launch campaign for srprs.me
- 2018, 2017 & 2014 RAR Awards: Finalist for 'Best PR Agency, 1-40 Staff'
- 2017 CIPR Pride Awards: Silver, Consumer Relations Campaign for our 'Promoting the Freedom of Ferry Travel' campaign for DFDS
- 2017 Drum Network Awards: Finalist for 'Leisure & Tourism Campaign/Strategy of the Year' for our 'Stop Control Freaking' launch campaign for srprs.me
- 2016 & 2015 RAR Awards: Winner, ‘Best PR Agency, 1-40 Staff'
- 2015 Drum Network Awards: Finalist for ‘PR Consultancy of the Year’
Our services include:
Brand PR: We help brands navigate and communicate through today’s complex media landscapes – traditional, social and global. We generate dazzling ideas, activate creative campaigns and utilise our deep media contacts to amplify brands and drive measurable results.
Digital Communications: For your business and brand to succeed in today’s global digital marketplace, it’s vital to work with a pioneering team that truly understands social media and all its elements. We have the creative thinking, the digital expertise and all the media contacts to get your message out online.
Global Reach: We develop solutions for our clients’ international communications needs, from managing PR in a single additional market to providing a comprehensive multinational campaign. Our international network of independent agency partners is tried and tested, and always delivers.
Rooster. We are pr.®