Creative The Drum Awards The Drum Chip Shop Awards

Tribal, VCCP, Leo Burnett, Guinness World Records: The Drum Chip Shop Awards 2020 jury

Author

By Dani Gibson, Senior Writer

March 3, 2020 | 13 min read

The Drum Chip Shop Awards are back celebrating pure, unadulterated creativity. These awards accept anything and everything, with no rules and no boundaries. The possibilities are endless.

cs judges 2020

The judging panel this year sees industry experts from Tribal Worldwide London, VCCP Blue, Brave, Clarity, Leo Burnett London, Guinness World Records Consultancy, Oliver, Leagas Delaney and Ogilvy UK.

Earlier this year, it was announced that chief creative officer at M&C Saatchi, Ben Golik will be chairing the judging panel.

Who is on this year's jury?

Below is a breakdown of nine members of the judging panel.

Ben Golik
M&C Saatchi
Ben Golik
chair of the jury & chief creative officer
Golik began became CCO of M&C Saatchi in January 2020. He began copywriting career in Australia at Publicis Dialog and George Patterson Bates before joining Harrison Troughton Wunderman in 2004. An eleven-year stint at Kitcatt Nohr (subsequently Digitas) saw him rise through the ranks to executive creative director, leading the agency to creative success on Waitrose, John Lewis, Starbucks and Nando’s. In 2016, Golik joined RAPP, creating widely awarded work for PayPal and Heist. He joined the M&C Saatchi Group as CCO of LIDA in May 2018, working with clients like Experian, Invesco and Christie’s.
The best stuff in The Chip Shop Awards is never the work the client was right to swerve. It’s the work that was born brave but somehow didn’t survive the system. We’ll be looking for ideas that are smart, and sensitive, and suitable. But that sadly found their final media placement on slide 72 of the PowerPoint.
Jade Tomlin
Tribal Worldwide London
Jade Tomlin
creative director
Tomlin's digital, customer focused career spans over a decade working with a range of lifestyle brands including Burberry, Starbucks and VW and at leading digital agencies in the UK and Singapore, such as Ogilvy & Mather, We Are Social and R/GA. Her passions lie in explaining, simplifying and enhancing the ‘connected customer’ journey and ensuring that companies better understand the consumer and that the consumer better understands the brand.
I have heard great things about the Chip Shop Awards and I am excited to be a first-time judge. The entries are famous for thought-provoking topics, genius ideas, witty visuals and copy, to toeing the line humour, so it is safe to say that I am looking forward to reviewing the high calibre of work. I am particularly hoping to be confronted with cultural norms and the ad-norms and looking forward to weighing them up against entrants that go against the grain.
Ross Neil
VCCP Blue
Ross Neil
deputy executive creative director
Neil joined VCCP from McCann London where he was executive creative director, having worked previously for 13 years at WCRS. Starting his career at HHCL working on Captain Birdseye, Sky and Pot Noodle, he moved to WCRS where he became creative director and later the executive creative director. Neil worked on such brands as BMW, The Sun, B&Q, RAF and NowTV. Ross has won countless awards from Cannes Lions to BIMAs, and D&AD Pencils to Sharks.
This year I'm looking forward to some freshly caught creativity to pickle my eye balls with mind battering ideas. No big songs slowed down please, and thank cod we won't be frying people's brains with the size of our budgets but seasoning the mushy peas of their imaginations. But seriously - fun ideas that make me think 'I wish I'd thought of that'.
Dipesh Mistry
Brave
Dipesh Mistry
associate creative director
With 12 years of industry experience, Dipesh has built his career through creating innovative TV, outdoor and digital campaigns for a number of clients including; LoveHoney, TFL, AgeUK, Xylem, Royal Mail.
The Chip Shop tone of voice is a tricky number to sing – successfully. Get it wrong and you’ll sound like the guy singing Robbie Williams’ “Angels” after sinking 12 pints at Lucky Voice. Hit the right notes and you’ll be dropping like it’s hot like the D.O.W.G at Shoreditch House. I love the proactive tone of the chip shop awards, but 2019 has been tough, politically, culturally and mentally. This year I want to see smarter, more insightful ways in that challenge conventional thinking. We’re better than cheap Donald Trump gags. Show me the ideas that make me shout out loud ‘damn, wish I’d done that’
Katrina Howell
Clarity
Katrina Howell
creative director
Howell has over two decades experience within the creative and UX sectors. With a pioneering spirit and tenacity in championing projects which connect consumers to brands in powerful and unique ways across multiple screens and devices, Howell currently oversees creative outputs across all Clarity clients.
I’m interested in seeing work that brings the human experience and touch into everything and tells the good story. Our physical and digital selves are blending closer together, so any work which explores the intersection and fusion between creativity and technology will stand out. It needs to be compelling enough to make you stop in your tracks, entertain and create a category shift.
James Millers
Leo Burnett London
James Millers
creative director
Millers started his career 14 years ago at M&C Saatchi under the stewardship of Graham Fink and the Brutal Simplicity of Thought philosophy. After seven Years he moved on to Mullen Lowe and is currently working as Creative Director for Leo Burnett London, where he’s responsible for helping to deliver integrated campaigns across all clients as well as mentoring young teams.
For me the best examples of creativity are always the most simple. It’s about what you can strip away. These awards, unlike almost all others, are an opportunity to really express that, no client, no committee and no rules. Oh, and given there are no rules, something bonkers that stretches beyond what’s normally possible.
Neil Foster
Guinness World Records Consultancy
Neil Foster
VP creative consultancy EMEA & APAC
Foster has spent the last 25 years working in PR and integrated advertising agencies in London, Sydney and Melbourne. Prior to joining Guinness World Records in 2019, he led the brand marketing team at Burson Marsteller. This followed a five-year stint as managing director of the PR agency housed within independent integrated marketing group Cubo and a four-year spell in Australia working for global advertising giant DDB’s integrated PR and experiential agency Mango Communications as their creative director.
Advertising that isn’t memorable is pointless. If it makes your smile or wince, you’ll talk about it in the pub. I’m looking forward to the pub.
Lucy Collier
Leagas Delaney
Lucy Collier
creative director
Collier is an award-winning Creative Director at Leagas Delaney with almost 20 years of experience working in creative advertising. She is a strong conceptual thinker and used to working across a variety of media for high profile clients in the UK and internationally.
I’m hoping my green-eyed monster gets twitchy. Bring on the brilliant ideas I wish I’d made.

Anyone can enter these awards, and we mean anyone; agencies, brands, executive creative directors, students, your gran, your next-door neighbour. Check out the following video about how an emergency creative poster from the students at The School of Communication Arts saved the day at The Drum Chip Shop Awards.

Make sure to submit your entries soon, the deadline for the awards is March 12.

More from Creative

View all

Trending

Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +