Day four at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity wrapped with six more categories handing out Grand Prix awards on the French Riviera. FCB agencies took two more of those, giving the group a total of four Grand Prix Lions so far.
‘Whopper Detour’ won a second Grand Prix, this time in Mobile – Activation by Location, giving the IPG network another big win.
Meanwhile, See Sound, the 'world’s first' smart home hearing system for the deaf, took the Innovation Grand Prix for Early Stage Technology for Area 23, an FCB Health Network Company.
The technology, by Wavio, is easy to set up – users can plug the See Sound unit directly into a wall outlet and connect via wifi to the phone app.
When a sound occurs, the closest See Sound interprets it and makes a prediction based on its confidence level, alerting the user on their smart devices. Essentially, it allows the deaf to see sound.
The team had to train a machine-learning model how to distinguish sounds that required millions of samples. Those sound samples turned out to be on YouTube in the form of billions of user videos.
So, working with Google, the team was able to leverage a data set of more than 2 million human-labeled, 10-second sound clips that were manually analyzed, annotated and organized into a Google Audio Set. The machine-learning model was then trained with these data to achieve a high accuracy level.
Elsewhere, 360i’s immersive gaming skill for HBO, ‘Westworld: The Maze’, won the Radio & Audio Grand Prix. For the campaign, 360i partnered with HBO to debut the network’s first full-scale voice skill.
‘The Maze’ is a voice game available on Amazon Alexa-enabled devices that allows fans to navigate the show’s world right from their couches. The immersive skill’s three simple words: “Alexa, Open Westworld,” provided fans with the unique ability to enter Westworld from within their own homes, exploring the park as a host on a quest for consciousness.
Users were guided through three 'choose-your-own-adventure' style levels with more than 60 storylines and 400 unique game choices riddled with questions about the Westworld universe.
Microsoft won the Grand Prix for Brand Experience & Activation for its ‘Changing the Game’ Xbox Adaptive Controller.
The Xbox Adaptive Controller is a controller designed for people with limited mobility that enhances their gaming experience and empowers them to compete in new ways. The device enables them to play on a level playing field, resulting in a gaming experience that, for the first time, is the same for everyone.
The team spent four months visiting kids with limited mobility in their homes across the US. Microsoft gave them Adaptive Controllers, let them open the packaging, helped them set up the device, then stepped back and watched as they played.
The team captured docu-style content showcasing their real experiences using the device to highlight the impact that accessible technology can have on people’s lives. The content was edited and launched with a long-form campaign video by McCann New York on social media platforms the Thursday before the Super Bowl to build momentum toward the big game.
A 60-second commercial aired during the Super Bowl.
The Creative Effectiveness Grand Prix Lion went to Carrefour and Marcel Paris for its ‘Black Supermarket’ campaign.
In Europe, people have access to only 3% of existing cereals, vegetables, and fruits. The other 97% are illegal, because a European law forbids all farmers’ varieties, the ancestral varieties of our grand-parents. Only hybrid, pesticide-resistant seeds – patented by the agro-chemical industry – are authorized. It’s been the law in Europe since 1981.
Supermarket Carrefour decided to use its leadership power to make a change by launching ‘The Black Supermarket.’
Illegal Black Supermarkets were created in Carrefour’s stores nationally to sell a unique range of illegal varieties of cereals, vegetables, and fruits. People were asked to join the cause by buying the illegal range in stores and by signing a petition on Change.org. The campaign revealed the absurdity of the law and turned illegal producers into national heroes.
The Creative E-Commerce Grand Prix Lion went to Doconomy’s ‘Do Black – the carbon limit credit card', with creative by RBK Communication Stockholm.
In 2018 Doconomy launched a service called Do, a mobile banking service linked to a payment card, creating a profile of a user’s consumption-based climate impact relevant to all commerce. This profile was created by applying an impact value to categorized products and services.
The platform allowed the user to track, measure and offset their impact through a number of United Nations Certified Green Projects, while providing data-driven insights to support behavior changes and take climate action through conscious consumption.