Pret a Manger has this week confirmed it will start listing ingredients on its freshly prepared goods. This preceded it confirming that a second customer died from an allergic reaction to its sandwiches.
The investigation into the latest allergy death at the outlet threatened a PR crisis that could erase trust in the brand's food preparation.
In 2016, 15-year-old Natasha Ednan-Laperouse died from cardiac arrest after eating a Pret baguette in 2016 at a Heathrow outlet. The sandwich label did not list its ingredients. Sesame, which Ednan-Laperouse was allergic to, was believed to be baked into the baguette.
Pret has confirmed that an individual also died in 2017 after eating a "super-veg rainbow flatbread". The sandwich was labeled as dairy-free but was found to contain trace elements of dairy - it was produced by vegan coconut milk brand Coyo. First and third-party testing found trace elements of dairy, spurring Pret to cut ties with, and sue, Coyo.
A spokesman for Pret said: "Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of our customer in this terrible case and we will seek to assist them in any way we can."
At the time Coyo said it was “devastated” that dairy was found in its goods, “especially as being dairy-free sits at the heart of everything we do,” it added. It distanced itself from the accident by saying its product was contaminated by a third-party supplier.