TV Ad Spend Weekly: Gaga and Gosling steal the show and grab some NFL airtime

Lady Gaga's remake of A Star is Born is one of the two potential Oscar contenders making its way around NFL programming this wee / Kantar Media

Brands continue to invest heavily in above-the-line content, and television is still seen as the place brands want to be. Each week, in partnership with Kantar Media, The Drum looks at which brands have been investing the most in newly-launched creative on US national broadcast and cable TV.

Ad spend on national TV increased 10% the week of September 24, reaching a total of $1.1bn. NFL games accounted for 27% of all national TV ad revenue for the week, with advertisers investing $297m running spots during games. For new advertising, NFL’s share of revenue was even higher (37%), with $62m spent on placing new commercials during football games. Overall weekly spend for new advertising was $165m.

Fall movie releases have become a strategic marketing tactic for Oscar nominee hopefuls. As we begin to move into the season, three major studios dominated the top five for new advertising this week promoting both current and upcoming films: Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox.

Warner Bros. released new advertising for three films: A Star is Born, Fantastic Beasts The Crimes Of Grindelwald and Smallfoot. The majority of spend ($3.5m) supported the much-anticipated Oscar hopeful, A Star is Born.

Universal promoted six movies with new advertising: First Man, Green Book, Halloween, House With A Clock In Its Walls, Night School and Welcome To Marwen. Much like Warner Bros., Universal placed the highest share of spend ($2.5m) with potential Oscar contender First Man. The studio also used the new prime pod ad format to help boost the film.

See all of the new creative submitted from around the world in The Drum's Creative Works section.

If you have creative work to submit, please upload it here.

This data is part of ongoing reporting released on a weekly basis with Kantar Media using its AdScope tool.

Get The Drum Newsletter

Build your marketing knowledge by choosing from daily news bulletins or a weekly special.