A Gravity Road ad for Belvita has been named the number one most emotional ad of 2017 in a new report from System1.
‘Next Stop, Good Mornings’, which was released in February last year, was voted by 56,400 consumers worldwide as the ad that made them feel the most emotion. It features a tired train of commuters on the ‘most depressing day of the year’ (16 January), a pack of Belvita biscuits and a train guard who cheers up his passengers with a monologue of jokes and wise-cracking observations.
It’s the first time a UK ad has topped the FeelMore50 list since System1 – formerly known as Brainjuicer – launched the research five years ago.
Mark Boyd, founder of the list’s winning agency, Gravity Road, told The Drum: “The challenge with most work on the internet these days is, it is just more ‘stuff’? It's great to see people engage with a brand film that was designed to do just that. It is designed for that moment and medium.”
The biscuit brand was followed by YKK’s ‘Zipper & Bears’ from Adk Asatsu DK in Japan, which came in second place, and Jameson Whiskey’s ‘The Long Lost Barrel’ from EVB in the US, which came in third.
While Belvita also topped the top 10 of the UK’s emotional creative, it was joined by Toys ‘R’ Us’ ‘Geoffrey the Part Time Reindeer’ by The Corner, The AA’s ‘Singing Baby’ by Adam&Eve/DDB, BBC One’s Christmas film (The Supporting Act) by BBC Creative and Tesco’s ‘Theresa’s Story’ by BBH London.
System1 noted that Christmas ads dominated the top 10, taking seven of the spots. The research company also noted that while seven of the top 10 global ads were released exclusively for digital distribution, eight of the UK’s top 10 were created for broadcast.
“In what can feel an ever-divided country and chaotic world, brands have a unique opportunity to provide unity, continuity and connection to consumers,” said Rod Connors, agency managing director of System1. “Movies and boxsets have it easy, so brands have a miniscule window of opportunity to positively impact a consumer and capture their attention. Making a consumer feel something is a marketer’s dream.”
The FeelMore50 Global Top 10
1. Belvita: ‘Next Stop: Good Mornings’ (UK) by Gravity Road
2. YKK: ‘Zipper & Bears’ (Japan) by Adk Asatsu DK
3. Jameson Whiskey: ‘The Long Lost Barrel’ (US) by EVB
4. Netto Marken Discount: ‘Die Oster-Überraschung #DerWahreOsterhase’ (Germany) by Jung von Matt
5. President's Choice: ‘Eat Together’ (Canada) by John St
6. Coldwell Banker: ‘Somebody to Love’ (US) by Siltanen & Partners
7. Monoprix: ‘Lait Drole La Vie’ (France) by Rosapark
8. Nespresso: ‘Coming Home’ (US) by McCann New York
9. Kia: ‘Hero's Journey’ (US) by David&Goliath
10. McDonald's: ‘McLanche Feliz” (Brazil) by DPZ&T