BBDO New York wins Agency of the Year at 21st Annual Webby Awards
The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS) today announced the winners of the 21st Annual Webby Awards, with BBDO New York taking home the top honor of “Webby Agency of the Year.” The agency earned more Webby Awards and nominations across all categories than any other agency this year, with six Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Awards, including for Sandy Hook Promise – Evan, GE – Unimpossible Films, and Bacardi – Incognito Tickets.
Webby Awards winners announced
Droga5 (five Webby Awards and four nominations), McCann New York (five Webby Awards and four nominations), R/GA (three Webby Awards and four nominations), and Wieden+Kennedy (two Webby Awards and seven nominations), were close in the running for Webby Agency of the Year, with standout campaigns like The Field Trip to Mars (McCann New York), Through the Dark (R/GA), Don’t Smell Yourself Short (Wieden+Kennedy), and Game Changer (Droga5) recognized this year.
“Whether through humorous, inspiring, or sobering messages and imagery, this year’s winning campaigns and branded content captivated Internet fans around the world,” said David-Michel Davies, executive director of the Webby Awards. “We’re honored to recognize the Webby Award-winning creative work this year that broke the mold by elevating controversial issues, asking provocative questions, and entertaining and inspiring the Internet community.”
IADAS members, including Barton F. Graf’s Gerry Graf, Facebook’s Jill Applebaum, 72andSunny’s Glen Cole, Under Armour’s Attica Jaques, and Google’s Anna Patterson, selected this year’s Webby Award Winners, while more than 3.5m votes were cast by internet fans in 235 countries and territories around the world to choose the winners of the Webby People’s Voice Awards.
The star-studded ceremony in New York, hosted by comedian and actor Joel McHale, will celebrate the most innovative, inspiring, and entertaining work on the Internet. The show will be available on demand at webbyawards.com the morning of Tuesday, May 16, featuring all the show highlights and hallmark 5-Word Speeches from the night’s big winners.
Highlights from this year’s winning campaigns include:
- Meet Graham by Clemenger BBDO Melbourne (TK) Integrated Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Serena Williams’ Match Point by TBWA\Chiat\Day LA (TK) Mobile Advertising (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Use of Native Advertising (Advertising, Media & PR
- Girls of Paradise by McCann Paris (TK) Best Cause-Related Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Public Service & Activist Websites (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Adios Amigo by Havas New York (TK) Launch - PR (Advertising, Media & PR), Brand Strategy (Advertising, Media & PR)
- 25m2 Syria by POL (TK) Best Cause Related Campaign - PR (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Deadpool Gets All the Likes by FOX Home Entertainment (TK) Social Media Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Dove: Dear Media by Razorfish (TK) Corporate Social Responsibility (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Don’t Smell Yourself Short by Wieden+Kennedy (TK) Best Video Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
Highlights from this year’s winning Branded Content include:
- Under Armour Michael Phelps by Droga5 (TK) Viral (Branded)
- Sandy Hook Promise - Evan by BBDO New York (TK) Viral Marketing (Advertising, Media & PR), Short Form - Branded (Film & Video)
- The Field Trip to Mars by McCann New York (TK) VR, Gaming, Interactive, or Real-Time - Branded (Film & Video)
- The Lady Gaga + Intel Performance by Intel (TK) Live Experiences - Branded (Film & Video)
- Nike “Margot + Lily” by RSA Films (TK) Scripted - Branded (Film & Video)
- Greenpeace: A Journey to the Arctic by MediaMonks (TK) VR: Cinematic or Pre-Rendered - Branded (Film & Video)
- GIPHY Keys to Success by GIPHY (TK) Comedy - Branded (Film & Video)
- GE Unimpossible Films by BBDO New York (TK) Series - Branded (Film & Video)
EY provides vote tabulation consulting for the Webby Awards. To view the full list of advertising, media and PR winners, visit the awards website here.