Read our new manifesto
Future 50 Banner

Love and food: Tinder and GrubHub partner for survey

Tinder and GrubHub partner for survey

Would you swipe right for a pizza? Or maybe a cheeseburger would be better? We wish. But GrubHub, an online food delivery service, has partnered with dating app, Tinder, to uncover dating preferences of singles.

A survey of 2,000 Tinder users revealed insights regarding their food-related dating preferences.

"Partnering with Tinder allowed us to tap into the food-related dating preferences and practices of today's singles," said Barbara Martin Coppola, chief marketing officer, Grubhub. "We're thrilled to be part of the new dating experience and it is heartwarming to see that Grubhub can play a role in the love story of couples nationwide, as people get to know a new partner over their favorite local cuisine, from the comfort of home.”

When asked what dish do you prefer on a first date? 62 percent of respondents prefer a heartier dish, whereas 38 percent prefer a lighter meal. With social and dating norms, only 36 percent of respondents would rule out a second date if the other person didn’t offer to pay and 64 percent said it would not be an issue. On a third date, 60 percent of respondents prefer to order in for a casual night in, whereas the remaining 40 percent prefer to dine out. When your date uses a fork when ordering sushi, 56 percent of respondents thought, ‘it’s cringe-worthy!’ and the remaining 44 percent thought ‘it’s adorable’ to forgo the chopsticks.

"Most first dates involve food, so partnering with Grubhub to learn more about how eating preferences affect compatibility was a perfect fit for us," said Rosette Pambakian, vice president, global communications and brand, Tinder. "The findings are interesting and highlight the important role food plays in dating."

In addition to this partnership, Tinder has announced that it would add a desktop version with a new website that lets would-be daters to view their match’s profile while messaging. Currently, Tinder is only available on smartphone and tablet devices but soon, users will be able to swipe from the comfort of their desktops if there are unable to access the company's app.