The wrong best picture winner was announced at tonight's Academy Awards when a mix up with the envelopes led Hollywood legends Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway to name La La Land as Best Picture over Moonlight.
After the cast and crew of La La Land made their acceptance speeches the mistake was realised and the correct recipients, the makers of Moonlight, took to the stage to accept their awards.
Beattie, who looked confused when he opened the envelope, and looked to his co-presenter and Bonnie and Clyde co-star Faye Dunaway for help, later explained to the room that the envelope had included Emma Stone's name as Best Actress.
At the time of writing the Academy Awards had yet to explain the mix up.
Stone was the winner of Best Actress and Casey Affleck took home Best Actor for Manchester by Sea. La La Land was the recipient of Best Director for Damien Chazelle also.
A full list of this year's winners can be seen below:
- Best Picture: Moonlight
- Best Actress: Emma Stone for La La Land
- Best Actor: Casey Affleck in Manchester by the Sea
- Directing: Damien Chazelle for La La Land
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight - Screenplay by Barry Jenkins; Story by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- Best Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea written by Kenneth Lonergan
- Best Original Song: 'City of Stars' from La La Land, Music by Justin Hurwitz, Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul
- Music (Original Score): Justin Hurwitz for La La Land
- Cinematography: Linus Sandgren for La La Land
- Short Film (Live Action): Sing, Kristof Deak and Anna Udvardy
- Documentary (Short Subject):The White Helmets, Orlando von Einsiedel and Joanna Natasegara
- Film Editing: John Gilbert for Hacksaw Ridge
- Visual Effects: The Jungle Book - Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Dan Lemmon
- Production Design: La La Land, David Wasco (Production Design) and Sandy Reynolds-Wasco (Set Decoration)
- Best Animated Feature Film: Zootopia by Byron Howard, Rich Moore and Clark Spencer
- Best Short Film (Animated): Piper by Alan Barillaro and Marc Sondheimer
- Best Foreign Language Film: The Salesman directed by Asghar Farhadi
- Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis in Fences
- Sound Mixing: Kevin O'Connell, Andy Wright, Robert Mackenzie and Peter Grace for Hacksaw Ridge
- Sound Editing: Sylvain Bellemare for Arrival
- Best Documentary (Feature): O.J.: Made in America - Ezra Edelman and Caroline Waterlow
- Costume Design: Colleen Atwood for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson for Suicide Squad
- Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali in Moonlight