Sponsorship

Speedo cuts ties with disgraced US Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte

Author

By Tony Connelly | Sports Marketing Reporter

August 22, 2016 | 3 min read

Speedo has ended its sponsorship of disgraced US Olympic swimmer, Ryan Lochte, following his falsified claims about being robbed at gunpoint.

The company announced that it was ending its sponsorship of the 32 year-old Rio Olympic gold medallist effective immediately.

In a statement it said: "We cannot condone behaviour that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for."

Speedo drops Ryan Lochte

Ryan Lochte

Lochte claimed that he and three other Team USA swimmers - Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen- were robbed at gunpoint in Rio, however the story was later discovered to have been fabricated in an attempt to cover up a drunken incident involving them vandalizing a gas station toilet.

Speedo said it would donate a $50,000 portion of Lochte's sponsorship fee to the charity Save The Children's Brazilian operation.

Ralph Lauren, another of his sponsors, said last week that it was “working closely with the USOC" to review the situation. Japanese mattress manufacturer Airweave said Lochte would “remain the US ambassador for Airweave as long as our partnership agreement remains effective”.

The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.

Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.

Sign up
Sponsorship

More from Sponsorship

View all

Trending

Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +