Stranger Things dominated Netflix and popular animated dark comedy BoJack Horseman also made an appearances as season three launched. Hulu stayed pretty consistent from the last month. Here are the charts and insights from SimilarWeb.
- Set in 1980s Indiana, Stranger Things is the hottest show on Netflix, capturing 34% of the top traffic share. The show, which released its first season on July 15th, beat out Orange is the New Black, which was by far the most popular show of June.
- On the heels of OITNB (which ranked 2nd over), Marco Polo received almost 21% of the top traffic share as the show’s second season was released on July 1st. It had been a long wait for fans of the historical drama, as the first season came out back in December 2014, but it seems the wait was worth it.
- Two animated comedies cracked the Netflix top 10 with BoJack Horseman beating out Family Guy, though Family Guy was the only show to appear on both the Netflix and Hulu top 10.
- The complete Gilmore Girls series became available to worldwide Netflix subscribers on July 1st and despite the fact that the last episode aired in May 2007, the show has found quite the audience among Netflix watchers. Furthermore, the series is getting a 4-episode Netflix revival titled Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. The expected release date is late November 2016.
- The rest of the Netflix list is rounded out by classic US TV shows, with Marcella being the lone exception. Marcella is a British crime series, which originally aired in the UK from April to May 2016.
- Just missing the cut was Pokémon: Indigo League which was the 12th most popular Netflix show of July. It seems the Pokémon GO craze has also started affecting people’s Netflix habits.
- With Hulu users, not much changes from year to year. In the top 10 rankings we did for Hulu in July 2015, 5 of the top 10 shows remain constant. In both July 2016 and July 2015 there was Seinfeld, The Daily Show (with Jon Stewart but now Trevor Noah), The Bachelorette, Wayward Pines, and America’s Got Talent. Though the position of some of the shows has changed, the tastes of Hulu users remain constant.
- In addition to being consistent year-over-year, Hulu viewers are fairly consistent from one month to the next as South Park remains the most popular show, with an almost identical traffic share to last month.
- The only essential change to the Hulu list is that Rick and Morty and The Mindy Project are now among the top 10, leaving out Law and Order SVU and Bob’s Burgers.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.