ABC News is launching new apps for iPhone, Android and Apple TV, as well as debuting a new homepage with the hopes to improve user experience across all of its properties. Improvements that can be expected are: more prominent video placement, an amplified live multi-stream offering that supports up to eight simultaneous streams and more sophisticated cross platform alerts that allow for greater personalization and more immediate information.
“Over the last many months, the product and audience development teams have been hard at work to develop products that enhance the user experience and provide for seamless consumption across every screen. We’ve added new video capabilities, including a live multi-stream offering that supports up to 8 simultaneous streams, as well as cross-platform push alerts with even greater personalization and sophistication,” said Colby Smith, ABC News VP, in a memo to staff.
ABC News also is introducing a Special Event feature for mobile and web properties, which will be released ahead of the Republican National Convention and the Democratic National Convention, in addition to live streaming through Facebook. According to ABC News, the unique design brings text, video, photo, and live updates to the forefront during major events and breaking news situations. The live streams will cover both the RNC and DNC throughout the conventions and will include happenings on the convention stages, conversations with key political leaders, and other behind the scenes convention coverage.
“This is just the start. Always putting our audience first, we will deliberately and relentlessly evolve to lead the industry in defining the future of news and storytelling,” Smith said.
Some of the specific features that will be released are the following:
- Live tab: An immersive live video-only section features up to eight simultaneous streams.
- Enhanced Alerts: Personalization by location and content preferences live alongside a highly customizable Alerts feed.
- In-line video: Video auto starts in “Quiet Watch” mode as a user scrolls through content feeds.
- Listen tab: Includes a continually updated ABC News Radio audio stream, as well as podcasts from ABC News programs and originals.
ABC News Homepage:
- Web alerts: The personalization and customization of alerts once only found in phone apps is now available on the web, including both breaking news and personalized alerts.
- Live video bar: Supports up to 8 simultaneous livestreams.
- Design: Developed with a mobile-first sensibility to feature beautiful images and video content alongside traditional headline formats.