Nike’s ‘The Switch’ ad featuring Cristiano Ronaldo has emerged as the most shared ad of Euro 2016, according to new data from Unruly.
The six-minute long film showing the Real Madrid star magically swapping places with an English teenager has been by far the most shared ad of the tournament, dominating Adidas’ ‘First Never Follows’ ad which stars home nation favourite Paul Pogba. It represents a particular coup for Nike given that, unlike Adidas, it is not an official sponsor of the tournament.
The video ad tech company placed it atop its top 10 list with 335,618 shares since its launch on 9 June.
Ian Forrester, director of Insight from Unruly, said: “It’s no surprise Nike’s 'The Switch' was the most shared. When we analysed the ads using Unruly Pulse and our Unruly ShareRank algorithm, ‘The Switch’ was by far most shareable, eliciting the most intense emotions of all of the ads we tested. But what really set it apart was the breadth of the emotions it evoked (amazement, inspiration, happiness, hilarity and exhilaration).
“But it’s not just doing the business on the sharing charts, it’s also doing the business where it really matters. Thirty-five per cent of consumers who watched the ad said they would like to find out more - the highest of any of the ads tested - while just over a third (34 per cent) said they were interesting in buying the products featured in the ad.”
Ronaldo’s confidence and ego is closely rivalled by Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the new Manchester United player helped Volvo take second spot on the list with its ‘Prologue’ ad. The film showing Ibrahimovic reflecting on his roots and how far he has come was shared a total of 61,421 times.
Below is the top 10 list.
1) Nike - The Switch - 335,618
2) Volvo V90 - ”Prologue” feat. Zlatan Ibrahimović - 61,421
3) Paddy Power - Scotland's Euro 2016 anthem - 47,895
4) Lufthansa - Everybody's Fanhansa- 40,645
5) Mars - #Believe - 33,631
6) Carlsberg - Your Seat For A Euro Seat - 16,135
7) Licor Beirao - We’re Sorry Harry Kane - 14,993
8) Edeka - Das EDEKA Anfeuern - 9,973
9) Beats By Dre - Kane, Griezmann, Götze and Fabregas in B [READY] f. “Firestarter” by The Prodigy - 9,471
10) ITV - UEFA EURO 2016 | ITV FEAT. ERIC CANTONA | LUCKY - 7,679