Orange is the New Black dominated for Netflix in June as the show returned. South Park dominated for Hulu as summer binging continued. Here are the charts and insights from SimilarWeb.
- Orange is the New Black is back; season 4 was released to Netflix viewers on June 17th. The show was by far the most popular show of June, gobbling up 78% of the top traffic share and vaulting to the top.
- Aside from OITNB, 3 other Netflix original shows cracked June’s top 10, and all 3 came in at the bottom half of the rankings.
- With 2.22% Bloodline was Netflix’s 7th most popular show in June, and though the show’s second season was released in late May, it failed to crack the May top 10.
- Voltron: Legendary Defender and House of Cards are the other Netflix originals on the list, though both shows were very much outperformed by established non-Netflix comedy shows.
- American Dad! was actually the 2nd most popular show on Netflix in June and was joined by in the top 10 by 3 other comedies: Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, and Friends.
- Grey’s Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars are 2 non-Netflix originals that added seasons to the online streaming site. Grey’s Anatomy released season 12 on June 18th and Pretty Little Liars released season 6 on June 2nd. As a result, the shows jumped up the charts and took third and fourth place respectively.
- What Happened to Grace and Frankie? The Netflix original released its second season on May 6th and took 33% of the top traffic share over the month. June, however, has been a different story and the show is nowhere to be seen among the top 10.
- Unlike Netflix, where one show rules, Hulu’s most popular shows are more equally distributed, with no show taking more than 20% of the top traffic share. The top show of June, South Park, had 17.5% of the top traffic and moved up from 4th place, the position it held in May.
- South Park was actually one of 4 animated shows that cracked Hulu’s June top 10. The others were Family Guy in 3rd, Anime series Naruto: Shippuden in 4th, and Bob’s Burgers in 10th.
- Slightly more popular in June compared to May, The Mindy Project was able to rise one spot, from 3rd to 2nd and was the only non-animated show among the top 4. Meanwhile, Trevor Noah maintained his position in 6th, though traffic share to the show decreased slightly since May.
- Newcomers to the Hulu list include The Bachelorette, which debuted at 5th, Law and Order SVU, which took 8th place, and the timeless classic Seinfeld, which came in at 9th.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.