Though the numbers are improving ever-so-slightly, the number of women in senior industry roles, especially as creative directors (CDs), is woefully small. When Kat Gordon began the 3% Conference in 2012, only three per cent of creative directors were women. Today, that number sits at 11 per cent — a slight uptick, but not nearly as high as it can or should be, clearly indicating that there is more work to be done. The mission of the 3% Conference is simple — championing create female talent and leadership, shining the brightest light possible on the issues of gender inequality in creativity and working together as an industry, no matter the gender or background, to help change the ratio.
To that end, The Drum is proud to partner with the 3% Conference mission as media partners of the November 3 and 4 annual event in New York City. We clearly believe that marketing can change the world and having an industry that values parity on every level possible is part and parcel to ensuring that it stays healthy and sustainable in perpetuity.
"The 3% Conference is delighted to have The Drum serve as media partner for our 5th Annual Conference in 2016,” said Gordon. “We have long admired The Drum's depth of coverage and eye towards diversity and are excited about echoing our speakers' messages worldwide through The Drum's reporting.”
“What Kat and her team have done so far is remarkable,” added Doug Zanger, The Drum’s North America Editor at Large. “But we also know that there is still a long way to go. We care deeply about moving the conversation to more action and are thrilled that we are part of this journey together.”
Coverage leading up to, during and after the event are the stories of change that move the industry forward. Speakers scheduled thus far include:
- Madonna Badger, CCO, Badgers & Winters
- Jeff Goodby, Co-Chairman and Partner, Goodby Silverstein & Partners
- Adam Grant, Author "Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World"
- Susan Credle, Global CCO, FCB
- Tim Allen, President, North America, Wolff Olins
- Wendy Clark, CEO, DDB Worldwide, North America
- Jack Myers, Author "The Future of Men"
- David Shing, Digital Prophet, AOL
- David Lubars, Chairman, BBDO
- Vann Graves, CEO + CCO, FL&G
- Kate Bristow, Chief Strategy Officer, M&C Saatchi LA
- Marty Muller, SVP/Global Creative, Disney
- Cindy Gallop, Founder, Make Love Not Porn
- Marley Dias, Founder, #1000BlackGirlBooks
- Brad Johnson, Professor of Psychology, Dept of Leadership, Ethics + Law, U.S. Naval Academy
- Kelly Fredrickson, SVP, Creative, Bank of America
- Nilofer Merchant, Fellow, The Martin Prosperity Institute
- Jaime Robinson + Lisa Clunie, Co-Founders, JOAN Creative
- Lori Senecal, Global CEO, CP+B
- John Zissimos, CCO, Salesforce
- Leslie Wingo, President/CEO, Sanders\Wingo
- Bonnie Wan, Director of Strategy/Associate Partner, Goodby Silverstein + Partners
To learn more about the 3% Conference, and to register, please visit their website.