Business leaders question the government’s post-Brexit contingency plans
The UK’s business secretary has said that access to the European single market will remain a “top priority,” when the UK negotiates exit terms with the EU.
UK business secretary Sajid Javid chaired a meeting with business leaders on Tuesday
Sajid Javid chaired a meeting yesterday with top UK business leaders from groups including the Institute of Directors (IoD), British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) and the manufactures organisation the EEF.
“The biggest issue raised was the need to secure continued access to the single market,” he told attendees, adding: “While I’m not in a position to make promises, I assured everyone that my number one priority will be just that in the negotiations to come.”
Director general of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn said the government was a “long way” from having a clear contingency plan by which to navigate a post-Brexit deal with the EU.
“We’re a long way off having a plan and leadership... that is what businesses need,” she asserted, adding: “We urgently need leadership, particularly given the political vacuum.”
Earlier this week Sajid Javid said that the UK’s economy was strong enough to handle any "short-term market volatility".
"Now it's a time for reassurance for business, and my message to them ever since Friday morning is there's no need to be panicking at all," he said on the BBC’s Andrew Marr show.
Speaking during PMQ’s today (29 June) David Cameron, who announced plans for his resignation in the aftermath of the vote, said “we need to negotiate the best possible deal for Britain and ensure access to the single market.”
Several firms, including Vodafone and easyJet have warned they may need to relocate their headquarters to the EU if Britain does not get access to the single market.