Exclusive new partnership with Parrot Analytics to uncover the best digital originals
Found Remote has invested in bringing you the latest insights and analytics that surround the future of TV. As we expand we're excited to announce a new partnership with New Zealand-based platform, Parrot Analytics. Every two weeks we will exclusively share the top 5 most in-demand shows in the US ranked by their average Demand Expressions™.
Here are the full insights from Parrot, followed by an interview with their CEO Wared Seger and details on how their insights are compiled.
For May 12-18 - Top 5 Digital Original Series in the US and Average Demand Expressions™:
- Fuller House, Netflix: 6,644,786
- Orange is the New Black, Netflix: 6,521,055
- Grace and Frankie, Netflix: 6,046,336
- 11.22.63, Hulu: 5,409,065
- House of Cards, Netflix: 5,202,134
Insights from Parott:
- The most in-demand digital originals this week in the US are dominated by Netflix originals, with one Hulu original making the top 10 this week. On average, Fuller House and Orange is the New Black are the top most in-demand digital originals this week.
- Looking at the time series of audience demand for these shows over the week, it can be said that demand for House of Cards grew over the week - with it having the highest demand for it on the 18th of May - most likely due to the the political scene in the US along with conversations around Robin Wright's equal pay on House of Cards.
- Netflix sitcom, Grace and Frankie, which was released on May 6th, started out the week with the highest demand for it, surpassing the still-popular Fuller House to become the most in-demand digital original series on May 12. However, demand for it fluctuated and it ended the week as the least in the demand digital original out of the top 5.
- Orange is the New Black seems to have strong demand for it as it continues to be one of the most in-demand digital series this week.
- Hulu's 11.22.63 started off the week with slightly more demand for it than House of Cards, however fell behind the top 4 Netflix originals on May 18th.
Found Remote: Why did you create Parrot?
Wared Seger: Because we believe in the magic of content and the impact it has on people’s lives. We are on a mission to connect content creators with consumers by enabling data-driven decisions along the value chain.
As a first step, we're excited to solve the industry' biggest (measurement) problem by introducing a global cross-platform audience demand measurement system.
FR: Why is measurement beyond linear Nielsen ratings important?
WS: Panel and survey-based measurement worked well when everyone was watching the same TV show at the same time. We are witnessing an increasingly rapid proliferation of content distribution platforms around the world, which is causing an unprecedented rate of audience fragmentation across those platforms.
Now, it is impossible to scale a panel-based system across all platforms in every single country on the planet and have the measurement system be globally comparable..Yet it is important for the industry to understand and compare audience demand for Game of Thrones, House of Cards and Transparent, on the same scale, on a market-by-market basis. This is possible with our global demand measurement system.
FR: How can brands and companies take these insights and turn them into marketing decisions?
WS: Brands and media companies are using demand measurement to better understand their audiences and increase yield across their business. From driving content acquisition and distribution decisions to increasing ad sales and improving ROI on marketing campaigns – demand measurement introduces a new paradigm to better understand audiences globally across all platforms.
FR: Anything else?
WS: Every day, we process and analyze the world’s largest audience behavior datasets. From measuring global demand for pre-theatrical movies to predicting which TV pilot will be the next big hit – we are introducing a range of solutions to help the industry better understand and connect with global audiences. Stay tuned!
Methodology behind Parrot's analytics:
Demand Expressions™ – are a country-specific measure of the overall demand being expressed for a title in a given market. It is designed to enable the comparison of the audience demand for content in the same market – regardless of which platform the content airs on.
Parrot Analytics captures an unprecedented range of online demand expression platforms that include video streaming, social media, blogs and micro-blogging platforms, fan and critic rating sites, file-sharing sites and peer-to-peer protocols to enable the industry to compare audience demand for content across all distribution platforms in all markets around the world. This enables the TV industry to compare network, cable, and OTT-original shows on the same measurement scale for the very first time.
About Parrot Analytics:
Parrot Analytics is a data science company that empowers media companies, brands and agencies to understand global audience demand for television content. Wielding the world’s largest audience behavior data sets, the company has developed the world’s only global cross-platform, country-specific audience demand measurement system.
Parrot Analytics captures an unprecedented spectrum of actual audience behavior including video streaming consumption, social media, blogging platforms, file-sharing and peer-to-peer consumption spanning 249 countries. This enables media companies, for the very first time, to understand audience demand for content across all content distribution platforms in all markets around the world.