Get lost in virtual reality from ABC News, National Geographic, Game of Thrones & more.
Since its launch in September 2015, Facebook 360 has partnered with a long list of brands, charities and nonprofits to distribute virtual reality (VR) videos. The company has joined forces with industry leaders such as Vice, Refinery29 and Pencils of Promise to create immersive VR experiences.
Today, Facebook announced their top 360 videos so far for 2016 (Found Remote received an early look). With blue-chip entries from National Geographic to comedy-shorts from Deadpool and Zoolander, it’s easy to see VR’s potential: and Facebook has positioned itself as a foremost curator and distributor of VR content.
The top VR video on Facebook in 2016 so far is ABC News’ 360° Tour of Times Square During Winter Storm a timely piece (published January 23rd, 2016 with 18.3 million views to-date), meeting the expectation set by ABC last year with 360° View Inside North Korea (published on November 12th, 2015 with 5.6 million views to-date).
“360 video is yet another tool for us to engage our audience and tell stories,” Daniel Linden, Global Head of Social Media at ABC News told Found Remote. “The interactive nature of 360 video, combined with the timeliness of posting the video quickly while the blizzard was still gripping the region, proved to be a powerful way to share this story,” he added.
Check out the rest of the videos that made The Top 10 VR on Facebook list below (based on time spent, and ordered alphabetically):
- Deadpool: See Deadpool everywhere (especially in theaters)
- FC Barcelona: 360º Mosaic tribute to Cruyff
- Game of Thrones: Game of Thrones Opening Credits 360 Video
- Ivete Sangalo: Eu quero o farol dos teus olhos iluminando a minha vida
- Liverpool FC: 360°: You'll Never Walk Alone
- National Geographic: 360° Tour of a Volcanic Eruption in Kamchatka
- National Geographic: 360°: Swimming With Bears in Kamchatka
- National Geographic: 360° Tour: The “Devil’s Pool” at Victoria Falls
- Zoolander 2: Zoolander No. 2 – Facebook 360° Experience