Exclusive: ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' saw a 316% increase in digital engagement from previous season
ABC's hit "Dancing with the Stars" returns tonight (at 8pm Eastern) for it's 22nd season. Mischa Barton (from "The O.C.") and Geraldo Rivera are among the celebrities this season. In anticipation of the return digital analytics shop Amobee used their Brand Intelligence platform to provide exclusive data to Found Remote on the show.
The company analyzed the show and came to a number of interesting conclusions. One of those conclusions was that 5% of all the show’s digital content engagement was related to the NFL (there are a few celebrity former players this season), while 3% of all NFL digital content engagement was related to Dancing With The Stars, which is an interesting tidbit for a League with a male-heavy fanbase.
SVP of Brand Intelligence, Assaf Henkin, explained, “With a steady stream of the show’s contestants from the NFL, Dancing With The Stars has become a powerful platform for the NFL to extend their brand’s presence and reach more women.” Here are the full insights:
- There has been 316% more digital content engagement around Dancing With The Stars the week the full cast of Season 22 was announced compared to the week that the full cast of Season 21 was announced; comparing March 7-13, 2016 to August 31- September 6, 2015.
- Because of Fuller House recently debuted on Netflix, along with the boost from Miley’s Instagram diss, since the full cast of Dancing With The Stars was first announced (March 8 -14, 2016), there has been the most Dancing With The Stars related digital content engagement around Jodie Sweetin
- Mischa Barton, former star from “The O.C.”, generated 14% as much Dancing With The Stars related digital content engagement
- Super Bowl MVP Von Miller generated 7% as much Dancing With The Stars related digital content engagement as Jodie Sweetin.
- In the same time period, Donald Trump’s ex-wife Marla Maples generated 6% as much as much Dancing With The Stars related digital content engagement as Jodie Sweetin;
- Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown also receiving 6% as much Dancing With The Stars related digital content engagement as Jodie Sweetin.
- Since the full roster of Season 22 was announced looking between March 8 -14, 2016, there have been 10,827 Tweets around Von Miller; meaning he’s the early audience favorite to win the Mirror Ball trophy. In the same time period, there have been 7,218 Tweets around Antonio Brown; 5,617 Tweets around Jodie Sweetin; 3,096 Tweets around actress Kim Fields, and 3,060 Tweets around UFC fighter Paige VanZant.
- Winning on Dancing With The Stars can help your career of course, but you’re not going to win Dancing With The Stars in the first place without a pre-existing fan base to vote for you. Looking at last season’s winner Bindi Irwin, in the 12 weeks after she won Dancing With The Stars compared to 12 weeks before she went on the show digital content engagement around her only increased by 26%; meaning looking at December 7, 2015 - February 28, 2016 compared to June 22, 2015 - September 13, 2015. She became more popular online as a result of the win; but, grew her fan base only incrementally from her appearance on the show.