The top 10 most pirated shows of February 2016
The Walking Dead and Arrow dominated the pirating charts for February. The return of The X-Files is also starting to rise the charts. Here are the charts and analysis from SimilarWeb.
- For torrent users, January was the month of The Big Bang Theory, but now it’s back to December, in the sense that The Flash is once again the top show overall. The Flash, a DC comics show, ranked 1st on KAT, 2nd on Pirate Bay, and 3rd on Torrentz.eu.
- Another show that had a huge comeback this month was The Walking Dead, an AMC show that had been on hiatus since November. On February 14th, the show finally returned, and torrent users rushed online to get hold of the new episodes. The show ranked 1st on Pirate Bay with an impressive 28% of the top traffic share, and did well on the 2 other torrenting sites as well.
- The other show to claim a 1st place spot was Arrow, which was the most popular show on Torrentz.eu and popular on the other sites as well. Torrent users once again showed their affinity to superhero shows, and 2 other DC Comics shows made the various lists: Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.
- In February, several shows managed to crack all 3 top 10 lists after not ranking at all in January: Suits, Lucifer, The 100, and Black Sails. Of these, Suits was the best performing, and after being on break since August, the legal drama is finally airing new episodes and fans are loving it. As Harvey Specter would say, “It’s not bragging if it’s true.”
- It’s been 14 years since The X-Files aired its 9th season, but on January 24th, 2016, the show triumphantly returned. Torrent users have been quick to jump on The X-Files train and the show performed well on all 3 lists, claiming the number 3 spot on The Pirate Bay.
- What happened to Shameless? The show did well on torrenting sites last month, placing as high as 3rd on The Pirate Bay, but in February, the show failed to make the cut on all 3 lists. Season 6 of the comedy-drama ends on March 27th, so torrent users may regain interest leading up to the finale.
- Along with Shamelss, several other shows including Billions, The Expanse, The Blacklist, Shadow Hunters, and American Horror Story all ranked last month but fell out of the top 10 in February.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.
The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.
Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.Sign up