Discover client recommended agencies

ITV outbids the BBC for The Voice - introduces The Voice Kids

ITV has snapped up reality show The Voice from the BBC for three seasons from 2017.

In a move likely to put the pressure on Simon Cowell, whose X-Factor has historically served as ITV’s bespoke singing competition, the broadcaster struck up a deal with Talpa Global for the rights to the show, an additional ITV2 spin-off show and a two season kids iteration of the property.

Originally a Dutch show, launched in 2010 and now airing in 180 countries, the property will remain in the hands of the BBC until 2016, with BBC acting director of Television, Mark Linsey, earlier this month said “we wouldn't get into a bidding war”.

Peter Fincham, director of television at ITV, said: “ITV is the natural home of big entertainment so we are thrilled that The Voice and The Voice Kids are both joining our family alongside brilliant shows like The X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, Saturday Night Takeaway and I’m A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here.”

John de Mol, Talpa founder and creator of The Voice, said: “We are delighted that The Voice has found a new home at ITV. With the addition of The Voice Kids we are excited about working with ITV in 2017 to develop and expand The Voice experience for the UK audience after completing what we think will be a fantastic upcoming season on the BBC, who have been a great partner.”

The future of The Voice at the BBC was put into doubt when the producer behind the show, Talpa Media, was snapped up by ITV in March for £355m.

By continuing to use The Drum, I accept the use of cookies as per The Drum's privacy policy