Even though many TV shows returned to traditional TV last month, Netflix and Hulu's original programming was still extremely popular. Netflix's bi-lingual original on Pablo Escobar, Narcos, topped the charts (with 25% of traffic share) proving that the show has become a worldwide hit. Found Remote covered the show's digital efforts here. Friends, which went off the air in 2004, was in second place. On Hulu South Park was number one and The Mindy Project, which Hulu smartly saved was number two. Here are the charts and analysis from SimilarWeb.
- Last month the series “Narcos” that centers on Pablos Escombar ranked in at 3rd place, and it continues to make an impact on viewers. This month “Narcos” obtained 1st place commanding 25.15% of traffic share on ourTop Ten Show List for Netflix in September.
- The most successful sitcom ever - “Friends” surprisingly managed to increase its popularity by grabbing 2nd place with 10.31% traffic share. Last month the show was ranked 7. The series ended in 2004, so its continued popularity is impressive.
- Although the last season ended in May 2013, “The Office” continues to captivate viewers. This month the show was able to secure rank 3 with 9.48% traffic share.
- Season 14 of the animated sitcom “Family Guy” will air on September 27th. But even before the launch of the new season, the series managed to grab 4th place with 8.61% traffic share.
- It seems like that HIMYM has the same effect on it viewers as “Friends”. The show ended in March 2014, but Netflix viewers continue to watch the show. This month the show secured a safe spot on our Top Ten Show List.
- “Orange Is The New Black” dropped by one rank place and managed to follow close on the heels of HIMYM.
- Season 12 of “Grey’s Anatomy” launched September 24th 2015. With 8.16% the show is in a prime position alongside the top-ranked shows.
- “Once Upon a Time” celebrated the start of its new season 5 in September 2015. There will likely be an increase in popularity as the new season progresses.
- “Doctor” is unfortunately the big loser of this month. Last month the series ranked in at 6th place, and this month the show dropped to rank 9.
- In October 2015 season 11 of “Supernatural” will debut. Ahead of the new season premiere, the show is crept into our Top Ten list for September.
- Last month the animated sitcom ranked in at #3, and this month “South Park” took top place, climbing up all the way to first place with 26.04% share.
- On September 15th, season 4 of “The Mindy Project” launched and therefore the show obtained ranked 2nd place in our Top Ten Show List for September.
- “Seinfeld”, “Naruto Shippuden”, “MasterChef” and “Family Guy” managed to maintain their respective spots in our Top Ten Shows List. Moreover, all three shows increased their popularity by attracting more viewers.
- One year before the US elections, Jimmy Fallon started successfully integrating prospective presidential candidates into his show. Maybe that’s the reason why the popular talk show host secured rank 6 with 7.51% traffic share.
- “The Empire” surged in terms of popularity, likely due to the launch of the second season on September 23rd.
- The big loser of our Top Ten Shows List is “Americas Next Top Model” and “Rick and Morty” Both shows lost viewers and dropped until the bottom of our Top Show List. In related news, cycle 22 (which debuted in August 2015) will be the last season of America’s Next Top Model as the show has been canceled.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.