Late on Tuesday evening Google rolled out a revamped version of its universally recognisable logo in a bold move which took many by surprise.
The new look, designed in-house, was explained to viewers in a simple gif.
— Google (@google) September 1, 2015
Design experts were largely receptive of the rebrand in discussions with The Drum, with Design Bridge creative director Asa Cook saying: "The new identity retains many of the positives (distinctive, friendly, human) whilst feeling relevant for today. I think the design team did a great job."
However we wanted to know what our readers thought, and so asked our social media followers to tell us whether they preferred #OldGoogle or #NewGoogle.
Our informal poll saw #NewGoogle gain the seal of approval from over a third of respondents (70.2 per cent).The remaining 29.8 per cent remained rooted in the past preferring #OldGoogle.
Below is a collection of our most interesting feedback on Twitter. The tilted e proved to be a major talking point.
There was a lot of praise for the new look.
#NewGoogle all the way - bold new logo for brave new world under Alphabet https://t.co/bkD3AvkOFV — Charlie Boss (@Charlie_Boss) September 2, 2015
@TheDrum@google still getting used to it but definitely the sans serif #NewGoogle — Alexa V. (@alexahvan) September 2, 2015
Others were unhappy with the changes.
I like elements of the new brand identity but for the main logo i think i'm #OldGoogle the new font is nondescript! https://t.co/oOn6VTBdqE — Clare Bowen (@ClareBowenUK) September 2, 2015
My thoughts on the #NewGoogle logo: No. Just no. Google's original logo is iconic. It's a bad omen when you fix something that ain't broke. — Sherman S&E (@ShermanSnE) September 2, 2015
@TheDrum It’s almost like the Google execs were last minute brainstorming on a kitchen fridge… #NewGoogle — Adam James Whittaker (@adamjamesUK) September 2, 2015
Not sure I like the #NewGoogle logo. It's looks a tiny bit too simple to me. Feels a smidgen childish. — Zoe C (Mama Geek) (@zoecorkhill) September 2, 2015
On a wider scale, data from Amobee Brand Intelligence captured a 15-fold increase in mentions of the logo across the entire digital landscape on Tuesday evening.
In the 24 hours up to 9.30am Wednesday morning, there were 10,440 tweets regarding the logo. Almost a quarter of these were positive, a further 11 per cent were negative.
Most commonly users discussed the ‘smiling e’, generated by a slight tilt of the typeface. The sans serif font was the second most controversial aspect of the design.
Missed out on the chat? Don't worry, get involved in the conversation below in the comments... no questions on research methodology however please.