Controversial streaming site LiveLeak has said that it will not host any further videos of beheadings released by Islamic State terror group ISIS, following the death of US journalist James Foley this week.
In a statement released on the site, which is known for hosting graphic images and video content, LiveLeak said that there while it felt it was important to show the video of James Foley, which was posted on YouTube, it will not be showing further beheadings carried out by ISIS.
“We've shown the world the true horror of this form of execution more than once in the past and we cannot find any compelling reason to even be thought of as promoting the actions of this group,” the statement read.
“We know they do not find support here on LL [LiveLeak] and that condemnation is virtually universal but there is no reason at all to show more beheadings. Nothing changes about them, they're still relentlessly grim and no deeper insight will be offered by descending into some grotesque ‘beheading of the week’ scenario.”
The streaming site will continue to host other forms of graphic media that it feels is “reasonable to do so”.
LiveLeak acknowledged the hypocritical move to ban future ISIS videos but said that it “will still allow, and encourage, reports on these events and, perhaps more importantly, discussion”.
The James Foley video has not been removed from the website.
Earlier this week Twitter began suspending accounts found to be tweeting any pictures of the beheading.
On Thursday Scotland Yard warned social media users against sharing or viewing the brutal clip warning that it could constitute a terrorist offence in itself.