Media

IFJ calls for Israel to be held accountable for 'atrocities' as journalist death toll rises to eight

By Angela Haggerty | Reporter

July 31, 2014 | 3 min read

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) has condemned the “ongoing cycle of intimidation, violence and murder” against media workers in Palestine as the death toll of journalists covering the conflict in the region rose to eight.

Following the deaths of Sameh Al-Aryan, 26, and Rami Rayan, 25, as a result of Israeli shelling at Shojayah on Wednesday, the IFJ said Israel must be held accountable for its actions.

'Atrocities': Sameh Al-Aryan and Rami Rayan were killed yesterday

IFJ president Jim Boumelha said: “We express our anger and condemnation at the killing of these journalists, the latest victims in this ongoing cycle of intimidation, violence and murder against media workers in Palestine.

The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.

Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.

Sign up

“We send our heartfelt sympathies to their family and friends and we offer our continued support and solidarity to our colleagues in the PJS and all media workers in Gaza as they continue to suffer through this appalling Israeli barrage.

“Enough is enough: the killing must end now and Israel must be held accountable for these atrocities.”

The organisation – which is the voice for journalists at the United Nations - will now write to UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon to “remind the organisation of its international obligation to protect journalists”.

Earlier this month, it emerged that journalists travelling to the region to cover the latest escalation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict were required by the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) to sign a waiver absolving Israel of any responsibility in the event of death or injury.

Earlier this week, Sky News requested the IDF remove one of the broadcaster's news reports from its Twitter feed for taking it "out of context".

At least 1,360 people have been killed since the Israeli offensive began on 8 July, the majority Palestinian civilians.

Media

More from Media

View all

Trending

Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +