Washington Post, New York Times and USA Today top US newspapers on Twitter
The Washington Post is the most popular US newspaper on Twitter, research from Searchmetrics found, garnering 275,193 tweets per week.
The New York Times came second with 261,422 tweets per week, followed by USA Today (149,960 tweets) and the Wall Street Journal (134,248 tweets).
Searchmetrics analyzed the number of tweets per week generated by content on ten leading US newspaper web sites using the continuously updated database of search and social network data which powers its software for tracking search and social media marketing activity.
“In recent research around half of all adult US Twitter users said they consume news through the social network, mainly on mobile devices,” said Marcus Tober, CTO and founder of Searchmetrics. “So for news sites, Twitter is an ideal tool for driving additional traffic to their content and our research shows that many leading newspaper websites are succeeding in this area.”
However, it was a story from USA Today that was the most tweeted article of 2013: Texas gunman brain dead; may be tied to Colo. slayings, was tweeted 408, 816 times.
Washington Post held positions two, three and four on the list, with Newtown shooter Lanza had more than 1,700 rounds of ammunition in his house leading to 361,259 tweets.
Most Popular US Newspaper Websites on Twitter
1. Washington Post: 275,193 tweets per week
2. New York Times: 261,422 tweets per week
3. USA Today: 149,960 tweet per week
4. Wall Street Journal: 134,248 tweets per week
5. Los Angeles Times: 118,911 tweets per week
6. New York Daily News: 51,877 tweets per week
7. Chicago Tribune: 17,777 tweets per week
8. New York Post: 13,532 tweets per week
9. Denver Post: 8,887 tweets per week
10. Chicago Sun-Times: 4,982 tweets per week