Kellogg’s to make all digital assets mobile-ready in next 18 months

Kellogg’s is to overhaul its entire digital portfolio to be mobile-ready while launching mobile-only activity where relevant, within the next 18 months.

The FMCG giant currently has mobile-optimised sites for around 30 per cent of its properties but will convert the remaining 70 per cent using a mix of techniques including responsive design and creating mobile-only experiences where relevant for specific brands, according to Kellogg’s head of digital, EMEA, Matt Pritchard.

“One of the challenges for big FMCG companies is when you have mobile properties that aren’t mobile friendly it takes significant investment to turn those around and that’s the stage we are at – how do you develop new work while bringing mobile into the mix and how do you make existing properties mobile friendly so they can be part of the mix.

“Our aim over the next year and a half is to make sure where relevant we have a mobile-only experience and, at minimum, sites that are built in a way that can handle responsive design,” he told The Drum.

Kellogg’s is eyeing ways to use mobile to bridge the gap between physical and online via second-screen initiatives, according to Pritchard.

“You’ll see this become more prevalent as we start executing for 2014 – the tying together of the second screen to the above-the-line message. Not just in terms of bridging online and TV, like we have done previously with the Krave brand on E4 for example, but providing real-virtual world interactive experiences and bridging the physical customer shopping experience with the online one,” he said.

Pritchard is also looking at ways to tie-in its e-customer relationship management (eCRM) strategy with its mobile communications. Kellogg’s strategy is centred on “getting into people’s pockets” and using mobile to “take transactions to the shelf edge” and feeding in eCRM with its mobile activity will help this, according to Pritchard.

“If you look at the next evolution of eCRM it’s the smartphone that will be the base for a hub of communications, and on the consumer’s terms. So if they want to engage with a brand via their phone they can authorise that and then that becomes a key channel for ongoing communications. You could argue we are doing that already with My Special K, using mobile as a communications tool, but it will become more deliberate and planned in our adoption and rollout,” he added.

Last month Pritchard said FMCG brands have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to understanding how to make use of their data, saying they should follow in the footsteps of financial services when it comes to maximising the value of data.

More on Kellogg's and other brands mobile strategies will be published in The Drum's latest mobile supplement due out next month.

Join us, it's free.

Become a member to get access to:

  • Exclusive Content
  • Daily and specialised newsletters
  • Research and analysis

Join us, it’s free.

Want to read this article and others just like it? All you need to do is become a member of The Drum. Basic membership is quick, free and you will be able to receive daily news updates.