Oscar Pistorius dropped by sponsors Nike and Oakley
Only days after it was suggested that brands would stick with Oscar Pistorius through the murder trial of Reeva Steenkamp, it seems that at least two companies have decided to pull their sponsorships.
Peet Van Zyl, from Oscar Pistorius’ management company, said in a statement on Monday: “Regarding sponsors and partners, I can confirm that at this point in time, all parties are supportive and their contractual commitments are maintained. They have said they are happy to let the legal process takes its course before making any change in their position.”
Last week, a Nike ad featuring the strapline ‘I am the bullet in the chamber’, was removed after the allegations were made, and on Monday told AP that he would not feature in future campaigns.
Another sponsor, Oakley, has suspended its agreement with Pistorius altogether.
Other sponsors of Pistorius include Thierry Mugler, who has taken down images of the runner from its website this week, and BT: although it should be noted that all sponsors logos have now been removed from the bottom of the Oscar Pistorius website.
Oscar Pistorius’ PR representative has yet to reply to a request for comment.