Doctor Who beats Eastenders to be named the most Tweeted about Christmas TV show
BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who has been named as the most talked about Christmas TV show on Twitter.
Despite Eastenders attracting the most Christmas Day viewers, research by internet service provider Littlebigone has revealed Doctor Who was the most popular piece of festive television on the social networking site in the UK.
The Doctor Who episode 'Snowmen' was mentioned some 1,600 times during the Christmas period, followed by Eastenders with 1,210 mentions and Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring with 809 mentions.
Littlebigone's Teresa Robbins commented: "Christmas TV was great this year, with fantastic programming throughout the festive period.
"Our analysis of how many people are talking about each show on Twitter has helped us to signpost the real crackers."
Despite losing one million viewers Downtown Abbey featured in the top 12, as well as the much anticipated follow up to The Snowman, The Snowman and The Snowdog, which aired on Christmas Eve on Channel 4.
Christmas 2012 Top 12 most Tweeted about shows
1. Doctor Who (1,600 mentions on Twitter)
2. EastEnders (1,210 mentions)
3. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (809 mentions)
4. Downton Abbey (395 mentions)
5. The Queen (365 mentions)
6. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (349 mentions)
7. The Snowman & The Snowdog (230 mentions)
8. Outnumbered (220 mentions)
9. Alice in Wonderland (203 mentions)
10. Lady and the Tramp (197 mentions)
11. The Royle Family (175 mentions)
12. The Choir: A Year with the Military Wives (154 mentions)