Tablet users shop more on their device than PC and smartphone users, according to Mobext and InMobi research
Mobile advertising network InMobi and Mobext, the mobile marketing network of Havas Digital, have today released the results of their latest global consumer research, focusing on the role of tablets in the consumer sales journey.
The survey examined the media consumption habits of over 8,400 respondents.
The following are ten findings from the research.
• 63 per cent of tablet users in the UK agreed that it is easier to access media content on a tablet than on a mobile or laptop/desktop.
• When asked about activities carried out on mobile devices, tablet users carried out an average of 3.9 activities given a list of six broad options in the last 30 days. This was higher than both laptop (3.6) and smartphone (2.7) users.
• Over 20 per cent of tablet users claim to shop less in bricks-and-mortar stores since purchasing their device.
• 69 per cent of tablet users had shopped via their device in the last 30 days, with almost 1 in 10 of these consumers happy to use their tablet for a ‘big ticket’ purchase, in contrast with smartphone users who typically use their device for functional purchases (2.9 per cent).
• Seven out of 10 users regularly use their tablet and watch TV at the same time.
• 51 per cent of respondents use a tablet to fill what would previously have been ‘dead time’.
• 49 per cent of respondents share their tablet with family members.
• 44 per cent said they would not want to be separated from their tablet.
• 42 per cent said that their tablet device has revolutionised the way they communicate with friends and colleagues.
• Almost a third of current non-tablet owners said they were likely to purchase one in the next six months.
John Stoneman, sales director EME at InMobi said: “Media consumption habits are evolving, with digital consumers supplementing or even replacing time spent with traditional forms of media, such as print readership and much purchasing now happens in the home via a mobile device. The research shows there is a strong correlation between the use of tablet devices and TV viewing, with the UK showing the highest levels of ‘dual-screening’ across the globe. Considering the path to purchase point; tablets are being used to research and browse products; which is then followed by a decision to buy the product. Notably we discovered that when consumers shop on tablets, they spend more than on any other device.”
To download an infographic of the results from ‘The Role of Tablets in the Online Sales Journey’, click below.
Content created with:
Find out more
InMobi is the leading provider of content, monetization and marketing technologies that help fuel growth for industries around the world. The company’s end-to-end advertising software platform, connected content and commerce experiences activate audiences, drive real connections and diversify revenue for businesses everywhere. With deep expertise and unique reach in mobile, InMobi is a trusted and transparent technology partner for marketers, content creators and businesses of all kinds. Incorporated in Singapore, InMobi maintains a large presence in San Francisco, London and Bangalore and has operations in New York, Chicago, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Delhi, Mumbai, Beijing, Shanghai, Jakarta, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Melbourne, Seoul, Tokyo, and Dubai. To learn more, visit inmobi.com.Find out more