The Mail on Sunday refutes Hugh Grant's phone hacking claims
The Mail on Sunday has refuted the statements made by Hugh Grant that he believed that his phone was hacked by the newspaper.
While giving evidence to the Levinson Enquiry on Media Ethics, Grant claimed that the newspaper must have hacked his phone in order to find out about a supposed affair he was having in 2007 with woman with a ‘plummy’ voice, while dating Jemima Khan.
"It was a bizarre story and completely untrue," said Grant.
"Thinking about how they could possibly come up with such a bizarre, left-field story... I realised there was a great friend of mine in Los Angeles whose assistant is a charming, married middle-aged lady, who is the person who rings you instead of the executive.
"I cannot for the life of me think of any conceivable source for this story in the Mail on Sunday other than the voicemails that were on my mobile telephone."
The Mail on Sunday has moved quickly to refute the comments, stating: “Mail on Sunday utterly refutes Hugh Grant’s claim that they got any story as a result of phone hacking. In fact in the case of the story Mr Grant refers to the information came from a freelance journalist who had been told by a source who was regularly speaking to Jemima Khan.
“Mr Grant’s allegations are mendacious smears driven by his hatred of the media.”