Mosley sues News of the World over Nazi orgy claims

Author

By The Drum Team | Staff Writer

September 21, 2011 | 2 min read

Max Mosley, former boss of Formula 1, has gone to court in France in a bid to seek reparations from News International for the “shocking” journalistic methods employed by the News of the World.

A front page story run by the tabloid in 2008 suggested that Mosley had engaged in a Nazi themed sado masochistic orgy, an event which Mosley claims “devastated” his life.

The paper secretly filmed a two hour video of the party and posted it online.

Mosley admitted to indulging in “sado-masochistic occasions” with consenting adults but said the party had clearly been “a private event” whilst the Nazi theme had been invented by the paper.

The latest marketing news and insights straight to your inbox.

Get the best of The Drum by choosing from a series of great email briefings, whether that’s daily news, weekly recaps or deep dives into media or creativity.

Sign up

Mosley’s lawyer, Phillipe Ouakrat, said: “Mr Mosley has no Nazi uniform and made no allusion to death camps. At no moment [does he] play the role of a concentration camp guard as Mr Thurlbeck (The News of the World reporter) said. At no moment did any of the women wear clothes representing inmates at a concentration camp.”

Mosley has previously one a privacy battle in Britain over the case but is pursuing his latest legal bid from the other side of the English Channel because copies of the paper and video were circulated across the continent.

It coincides with legal action being taken against the paper by individuals concerned they may have been targeted by phone hackers employed by the paper.

Trending

Industry insights

View all
Add your own content +