30 December 2013 - 1:17am | posted by | 3 comments

Derek Webster, the man who coloured the world's newspapers, dies at 87

Derek Webster: Welcome to colour in newspapers! Derek Webster: Welcome to colour in newspapers!

Derek Webster, under whose editorship the Scottish Daily Record became the world leader in newspaper technology, bringing full colour to the world’s newspapers, has died from a heart attack at his home in Glasgow.

Derek, who retired as chairman of the Daily Record and Sunday Mail shortly after Robert Maxwell took over in 1984, was 87.

Born in Margate, Derek, a former Daily Mirror chief sub in London and later northern editor in Manchester, was appointed editor of the Record in 1967. He had also worked for the Mirror group in Africa.

In Glasgow, he brought a new design-led slickness to the Record, then battling to overtake the 600,000 selling Scottish Daily Express.

I had met Derek when I was a trialist sub-editor at the Daily Mirror in 1963. The Mirror was a 5m selling newspaper, but there was little hint of drama on the editorial floor at Holborn Circus. Chief sub Derek worked quietly away with Larry Lamb at his side and Geoff Pinnington on the back bench. Gaitskell dead? That was the big story one night. You’ve no idea how smoothly the Mirror changed gear.

The Mirror was nothing if not well-staffed with, on some days, the early shift subs going home early to make space available for the late team.

The Mirror was later to “let me go” (surprise!) and I went to work on the Sketch before returning to the Record in Glasgow. There, as the one of the few Scots who had worked with Derek, I was able to reassure my colleagues in 1967 about the high credentials of the man who was to be their new boss. But even I had no idea what was in store.

The Record was then being produced with hot metal typesetting and clapped out presses at its old HQ, 67 Hope Street in Glasgow. Much more was needed to crunch the Express. The Mirror management boldly decided to replace the lot with a brand new printing plant at Anderston Quay with full colour web-offset printing and computer typesetting.

Cynics scoffed that a print run in excess of 700,000 was far larger than had ever been contemplated before with web offset.

But with Fleet Street still bedevilled by union restrictions, the Scots workforce moved to full colour, along with computer typesetting (punched tapes used to produce bromides for news page paste-ups).

This was before photocopiers were around. The Anderston quay team had to build a mini-printing press to produce proofs of the news stories.

Envious printers from around the world, including a team from Asahi Shimbun in Japan, visited the Glasgow plant as it showed just what it could do.

As well as foreign admirers, the success at the Record is also said to have inspired Robert Maxwell to move the Mirror itself into colour well before the Sun.

With a royal opening by Princess Anne in 1971, the Sunday Mail produced its last letterpress edition in Hope Street. Then that Sunday the Record produced its web-offset Monday edition out of the new plant a mile away on the banks of the Clyde.

There were no colour pics in the first weeks but soon regular news colour was flowing from the Record presses. And as the Record circulation climbed, the Express fell behind.

Derek was appointed editor-in-chief of both the Daily Record and Sunday Mail later that year and the titles became Scotland's best-selling daily and Sunday newspapers, with all-time high circulations eventually reaching over 5.5m copies in the seven days of publication.

Derek later became chairman of Mirror Group Newspapers in Scotland and joint chairman of the Press Council. He received a CBE for services to journalism in the early eighties.

Derek is survived by his wife Dorothy, a journalist he met in Manchester, and their three children Andrew, Nick, and Susie, all in the media business.

With Derek’s achievements at Anderston Quay well noted, it might have been thought he might have been tempted to go back to London. But no, "he loved Glasgow," his family tell me. And that is where they stayed, with the Daily Record the proud carrier of the accolade, “The paper that showed the rest of the world the way.”

Derek’s funeral is at 11am on 7 January at Clydebank crematorium.


31 Dec 2013 - 09:01
lobby44571's picture

What heady days! As a sub at the Express & then the Record back in the 60s & 70s this eulogy took me back to those febrile times. If only I could remember them...

31 Dec 2013 - 17:20
whitb19605's picture

Noel, wonderful piece about Derek. Thanks. Circulated it back home.... Maggie Hall, Washington, DC.

2 Jan 2014 - 16:22
charl13222's picture



Allan I was in the middle of the New year shop when Tom Brown p

Derek Alexander Webster was known as The Wee Man, but although not the tallest of individuals, he was a giant of journalism and a true gentleman of the Press. His family originated in Aberdeen, he told me, and originally had interests in the trawling industry. They moved south, however, and Derek was educated in England. I first met him when he took over as Editor of the Daily Record from Alex Little, a taciturn, Rennies-chewing Geordie, in the late 'Sixties. His first priority, coming as he did from the Manchester Mirror where he had been Northern Editor was to make his new paper look more like its senior stablemate and as Deputy Art Editor, I was his chosen implement! Armed with a thick chinagraph clutch pencil, known as his "Thunder Stick" he would scrawl over a make-up pad as he chewed on a thick cigar or puffed a plain cigarette. He was known to be sharp of tongue and had a lack of patience with those who couldn't grasp his intentions. But here was a man dragging a parochial little paper (albeit the best-selling in Scotland) into the tabloid age. Respect for the Wee Man grew with the circulation. He was my boss, my mentor and my friend. In 1978 when I was Deputy Features Editor, he laid his hand on my career, appointing me Project Editor for a new evening paper to contest the Glasgow market. I was given a free hand as to title, content and appearance. By now the Record and Sunday Mail were being produced at Anderston Quay, Glasgow on what were then the most modern printing presses in Europe. The new paper was to be called P.M. and its concept, with a classified ads pull-out section on pink paper was hailed both in Glasgow and London. Unfortunately the Mirror Group was the subject of a £2million libel action – a huge sum back then. The project was abandoned. It was a time when papers were getting bigger and I went to the Sunday Mail as Assistant Editor to devise a way of producing a 64-page version. Then, following Prince Charles' wedding to Lady Diana Spencer, Derek Webster, now Chairman and Editor in Chief, asked me to take over as Night Editor and Assistant Editor of the Record. It was a happy, hard working and, I have to admit, hard drinking time, but circulation kept on increasing. Then came Robert Maxwell. His influence and arrogance hung like a malignant cloud over what had been a wonderful place to work. I am convinced that the pressures engendered by that evil bully brought about Derek Webster's stroke. He was never the same. I have the memories to look back on… the advice and help he gave me, the parties at his home, his ready wit when he attended a farewell for other senior staff, the lunch where he instructed me to tear up my resignation. He is survived by his widow Dorothy, herself a talented journalist, sons Andrew and Nicholas and daughter Susan. He will be sorely missed by them and his many friends....Charles Duncan


Please sign in or register to comment on this article.

Have your say

Opinion, blogs and columnists - call them what you like - this is the section where people have something to say. You might agree or you might not - whatever opinion you have make your views known in comments. Views of writers are not necessarily those of The Drum. If you would like to contribute a comment piece, email your idea to opinion@thedrum.com.