Writer, Reader, Rascal

To be a successful copywriter you need 8 key things. Fingers. Chortle.

This is the kind of massively unhelpful and entirely spurious advice you can expect from Andrew Boulton, ...

...copywriter at Together and all round scoundrel.

Having smashed his increasingly chubby copywriting fingertips against keyboards for many years – starting life as copywriter for Egg before moving on to top Midlands agency Together – he’s learned a thing or two about how to deliver a captivatingly brilliant piece of copy.

Sadly, he’s forgotten all of that and all we’re left with are his shambolic, often scurrilous, ramblings about whatever has caught his wild copywriter’s eye that week.

Enjoy his words, say nice things to him and send him free biscuits. This is all he asks.

You can venture into the world of Together at www.togetheragency.co.uk and follow him on Twitter @Boultini

Read more...
15 October 2012 - 9:53am | posted by | 6 comments

It's a wordy world: how everyone is a copywriter nowadays

It's a wordy world: how everyone is a copywriter nowadaysIt's a wordy world: how everyone is a copywriter nowadays

When I was a young chap I had some rather big ideas for what I wanted to be when I grew up. Canoe builder was one. Thundercat was another. Jim Robinson from Neighbours was probably the most unlikely one on the list.

One thing I never thought about becoming though was a writer, let alone a copywriter.

And yet here I am and so, it increasingly seems, are millions and millions of other people.

The debate about whether copy is alive, dead, dying, growing or doing a tiny dance rattles on, but as far as I can tell, copywriting is more vital and prevalent than it has ever been.

Whether written by professional copywriters, talented amateurs or dangerous buffoons who are just angrily smashing their fists against a keyboard, the internet and the world of social media is propped up by words.

And all of those words are, like copywriting, attempting to elicit a response – whether that is following a Twitter account, buying goods or simply lending an ear to some lunatic's ravings.

While some suggest that not enough of us take the time to read novels or newspapers any more, i'd be incredibly surprised if the average person was not consuming a far larger amount of written content on a daily basis than previous generations.

Just by engaging with Twitter, I must read a few thousand words a day, and I would say that I have got far more pleasure from Gus The Fox than I ever managed when I was forced to plough through Thomas Hardy’s grumpy ramblings as a school boy.

As a copywriter I feel this can only be better for the profession. There is some frankly superb writing on the internet, through blogs and Twitter, and not only can this provide inspiration and fresh perspectives for us copywriters, it's also an excellent incentive to keep us in tip top condition.

Personally, it's prompted me to start every day with an hour of alphabetical exercises, such as typing out the lyrics to Gary Barlow songs while reciting as much of the script from Top Gun as I can remember (which is all of it).

So whether you're a professional copywriter or not, keep bashing out your written thoughts for all to see. It's nearly as good as being a Thundercat.

@TogetherAgency

Andrew Boulton is a copywriter at the Together Agency. Thundercats, Hooooooooooo!

Don't miss out... Get your Design news by email

Comments

15 Oct 2012 - 11:16
JackieYeadon's picture
comments

I recently plummeted from the dizzy heights of 'professional' to do a brief but convincing impression of a 'dangerous buffoon' when I saw an advert that promised to make anyone a 'professional copywriter in six days guaranteed'. Words have power. Not always good. *grits teeth*

15 Oct 2012 - 11:39
Gentle lovemaking's picture
comments

Take a look at Alan Dale's CV. With no disrespect to your endeavours, I think I know who's having the last laugh.

JGU
15 Oct 2012 - 22:29
JGU's picture
comments

We love words at [shameless plug] www.contentcopywriters.com [/shameless plug]. But not in a bad way.

Seriously though, damn fine article. Now is a great time to be writing copy whether for traditional media or digital. The plethora of would-be-scribes is out there is growing daily. Even more reason for those that do really know their werds to rejoice.

15 Oct 2012 - 15:29
scott57082's picture
comments

At least you understand that copywriting is supposed to persuade someone to do something. Many copywriters think their goal is to win awards.

18 Oct 2012 - 17:39
jeff_black's picture
comments

At some point my job changed from coming up with witty headlines to filling in that Latin bit there. Originally, a copywriter wrote the ad and an art director made it look pretty. Now it seems the roles are reversed to the point that the one with the Mac is called a 'creative' and I'm not.

19 Oct 2012 - 09:27
jimga13587's picture
comments

I'm afraid I have a rather sheepish apology to make to Jeff Black who commented above. I thought he made a great point and wanted to give it the thumbs up. Unfortunately with my ridiculously chubby fingers I accidentally gave it the thumbs down on my iPad and then could not undo it. I am very sorry Jeff, please feel free to give me the thumbs down.

Another great article BTW.

Write Your Comment

New to The Drum

You will be sent a verification email. Click on the link in the email to post your comment.