Center Parcs has pulled its advertising from the Daily Mail after appearing next to a controversial column by Richard Littlejohn, which it said was "completely unacceptable".
Titled 'Please don’t pretend two dads is the new normal,' Littlejohn criticised Olympian Tom Daley and his husband Dustin Lance Black after they announced they were expecting their first child.
In it, he said: “I still cling to the belief that children benefit most from being brought up by a man and a woman. Please don’t pretend two dads is the new normal”.
Center Parcs has since pulled its ad spend with the title, saying it takes where it advertises "very seriously" and has "a number of steps to prevent our advertising from appearing alongside inappropriate content."
“We felt this placement was completely unacceptable and therefore ceased advertising with the Daily Mail with immediate effect," it said.
Activist group Stop Funding Hate named several other brands for advertising online in the Daily Mail on the day the article was published including the Southbank Centre, Suzuki, Honda, the Co-op, Natwest, BT’s Plusnet, Boots, Carpetright, Iceland, DFS and Morrisons.
Stop Funding Hate later tweeted: "Customers speaking out to challenge media hate is all about free speech:The Mail can print what it likes, but we're also allowed to say "not with my money!". It's a misrepresentation to claim that the right to free expression obliges the rest of us to subsidise bigotry."
EA UK has also pulled its adverts after BBC Two presenter Sarah O' Connell brought it to its attention.
Hey Sarah - We wanted to reach out and thank you for bringing this to our attention earlier this morning. We've worked with our teams throughout the day to ensure that the placement of any advertisement is not done parallel to messages that go against our values. — EA UK (@electronicarts) February 16, 2018