February proved that Netflix and Hulu are now powerhouses for original content. Fuller House, the Netflix reboot topped their chart and 11.22.63, the James Franco thriller topped Hulu. Here are the full charts and analysis from SimilarWeb.
- 20 years after Full House ended, Netflix has begun airing their original new series, Fuller House, and viewers are simply loving it. The show was only released on February 26th so Netflix users only had 3 days in February to watch, yet it still managed to grab the top spot and 32% of the top traffic share.
- With Fuller House at the top, the reign of Steven Avery is over, and Making a Murderer, which ranked in 1st place for the last 2 months, now sits in 15th, way outside our rankings.
- February marked the Netflix release of the Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul, the AMC show, which has been on the air since February 2015. The show did exceptionally well in its Netflix debut and ranked 2nd overall in February. Meanwhile, the original Breaking Bad placed 6th after failing to make the cut in January.
- In third place, Love, a new Netflix comedy series took 21% of the top traffic share. The show, created by Judd Apatow, Paul Rust, and Lesley Arfin, was released on February 19th and has already garnered a sizeable audience on Netflix.
- In the comedy department, both Family Guy and Friends moved up one spot since January, while How I met Your Mother stood pat in 5th. The Office returned to the top 10, while Parks & Rec and New Girl were knocked out.
- Other shows that were displaced from the February rankings include Jessica Jones, who last month placed 2nd, and It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, who ranked 3rd in January. In their place, The Walking Dead and Grey’s Anatomy were able to join the top 10 after not ranking in January.
- Dating back to August 2015, the top Hulu show has always been an animated sitcom, but after 6 months, that is no longer the case. Instead, 11.22.63, a new science fiction thriller, has captivated the Hulu audience and ranks 1st in February, with 15% of the top traffic share.
- In second place, another science fiction show, The X-Files, took over 13% of the top traffic and jumped up 3 places since January.
- Despite the shake-up at the top of Hulu’s list, 6 of the top shows remain comedies, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine led the way slotting in at 3rd. The remaining comedies include SNL (dropped one spot), South Park (fell from 2nd to 6th), Family Guy (dropped from 1st to 7th), Modern Family in 9th place, and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, which barely made it in at 10th.
- Fourteen years after it premiered, The Bachelor continues to be a force in American television and the reality show has now made its way into the top 10 of Hulu. With 7% of the top traffic share, The Bachelor joins 11.22.63 as the only February newcomers to the Hulu list.
- Among the shows failing to make the cut this month were both New Girl and Law and Order SVU, two shows who ranked among the top 10 in January, but failed to make the cut in February.
SimilarWeb is the leading competitive market intelligence firm providing data analytics on desktop websites, mobile web and mobile apps. The SimilarWeb platform provides PPC, SEO, Media Buyers and Affiliates an edge over the competition with actionable insights into their competitor’s marketing tactics. Discover the data for yourself at SimilarWeb.com, with free insights for any website or mobile app.