3 March 2014 - 9:02am | posted by | 7 comments

BBC to axe BBC3 or BBC4 in £100m cost saving exercise

BBC to axe BBC3 or BBC4 in £100m cost saving exerciseBBC to axe BBC3 or BBC4 in £100m cost saving exercise

The BBC is reportedly preparing to wield the axe on one of its channels as part of moves to secure a further £100m in savings, with the expectation being that either BBC3 or BBC4 will be up for the chop.

Director general Tony Hall is said to have been won round to the idea in a bid to streamline the organisation, which some claim has become too unwieldy to avoid ‘salami slicing’ its programming budget.

Speaking at the Oxford Media Convention last week Hall said: “We decided we’d reached the point where salami-slicing would affect quality and distinctiveness. Rather than seek to preserve a less good version of our past, we decided to focus on what we do best: from drama to taking iPlayer into the next generation.”

The BBC is committed to implanting a £700m programme of cuts known as Delivering Quality First which it is currently halfway through delivery.

Comments

3 Mar 2014 - 11:31
georg11495's picture

Well BBC3 I'd never miss but BBC4 is superb!

3 Mar 2014 - 12:11
malco13368's picture

Pay all the big earners £50K less and there you have it.Stop the gravy train and revolving doors.This latest DG is from the same school as the previous wasters and scoundrels.Shame on you for even considering cutting BBC 4 and 3.

3 Mar 2014 - 16:51
SamTa13919's picture

I only use BBC1 & BBC3 out of all BBC channels, should just get rid of the cruddy bbc radio stations that hardly get listeners.

4 Mar 2014 - 19:28
ItsTheMaxter

Scale back the foreign channels. BBC america, how is that a service tv license payers are using?

5 Mar 2014 - 10:48
stuartheron

@ItsTheMaxter they dont.pay for bbc america. It is self funding through advertising and they buy programs from bbc uk. none of our licence fee funds it

4 Mar 2014 - 23:11
leannehargravejay

I really hope they come up with a solution, I'm not a great lover of BBC4 but I understand that it would be a big blow of that went, BBC3 on the other hand I watch religiously, I would be and I'm sure a lot of other people would be too- absolutely gutted, have bBC4 in the day time and continue with BBC3 I the evening? There's a compromise

4 Mar 2014 - 23:44
daleshrimpton

if they removed BBC3, they would then have to rebrand BBC4, As bbc3... so personally I can see BBC4 going. if you ask me though, I would think about allowing the bbc to advertise in some way on bbc3 and 4, thus bringing income in, to support those channels . that way you keep both.;

Cobalt Place

27/11/2014
Digital strategy and fully integrated campaign for...

Arran Aromatics - 25th birthday in-store campaign

27/11/2014
On the strength of a successful eCommerce web build with...

Launch + Sponsorship + Rooster = Social Media Success!

26/11/2014
September 2014 saw Garuda Indonesia launch their new London...