14 August 2013 - 5:08pm | posted by | 38 comments

Thomson Directories placed into administration

Thomson Directories placed into administrationThomson Directories placed into administration

Thomson Directories, the UK subsidiary of Italian publisher of telephone directories and street maps, Seat Pagine Gialle (SPG), is understood to have entered administration.

The Drum has learned that the local business directory has informed staff of administration process which took place today, with a consultation process over redundancies thought to be already underway.

Staff are also said to have also been informed that there are three potential buyers for the business, although their identity is unknown at this time.

At the end of June, SPG filed with the Court of Turin a proposal for a “composition with creditors" which is similar to a Creditors Voluntary Agreement. A meeting of creditors is also scheduled for next January, while in July, following a general shareholder’s meeting for SPG, it was revealed that the company’s overall losses had reached €432,885,844.60.

At the time of writing, no one from Thomson Directories had responded to The Drum’s approaches for a comment and to reveal the name of the administrator.

At the time of writing, the company's phone lines were all being diverted to a mailbox.

The business has been operating for 30 years, with services offered across online and print, having launched its local search website in 2003.

According to its webpage, 174 editions of the Thomson Local are produced and delivered to over 22 million homes and businesses throughout the UK each year.

It also claims to hold over 1.8m business listings, reviews and ratings.

Update: The Daily Mail has reported that about 200 staff members at Thomson's were made redundant yesterday, after a meeting of sales staff was called at head office.

Grant Thornton has reportedly been appointed as administrators for the company.

The Drum understands that a buyer has been found and that a meeting will be held after midday today at headquarters to reveal further information to retained employees.

Update: Thomson Directories has been bought by a newly formed company run by the owners of 118 Information, The Drum has learned.

Comments

14 Aug 2013 - 20:15
DavidPickup01

Thomson Directories was a great place to work and delivered great value to a lot of businesses. The downfall started when the company got greedy by penny pinching, getting rid of the loyal staff who "earned too much money"

That and not developing any online products of any value!

R.I.P

14 Aug 2013 - 20:54
Philo94695's picture

Company bought within 3 hours, the next chapter starts now! Yes redundancies have happened but where haven't there been in this downturn? You have to evolve to survive!...

15 Aug 2013 - 08:33
Patsy12810's picture

Never mind we are not getting paid next week and have to rely on family to pay our mortgages. Was meant to be getting 10.5k in the next two months. But it's ok. As long as thomsons have evolved?!! @Philo94695

19 Aug 2013 - 14:07
angel19187's picture

@Patsy12810

I have Business Development Consultant Positions available nationwide with an attractive salary and commission structure. I have a few ex-Thomsons employees already in the role which they love!

Contact me for for information!

15 Aug 2013 - 08:47
Patsy12261's picture

I'm alright Jack. Pull up the ladder...@Philo94695

15 Aug 2013 - 11:48
carolstuckey50

Yep a fat cat licking the cream at the expense of others yes you are a typical thomsonlocal old boys network guy the company deserves you and you deserve the company may your turn be next@Philo94695

24 Mar 2014 - 22:49
james83339's picture

@Philo94695

14 Aug 2013 - 21:00
tonyd13043's picture

Once a superb product, represented by a dynamic and loyal workforce. Management lost their way in the challenging economy. However, this is good news for any UK company showing positive signs of recovery. Grab yourselves a highly trained ex Thomson Directories employee whilst they're available.

19 Aug 2013 - 14:07
angel19187's picture

@tonyd13043 If anyone is looking for a new job opportunity working for a fantastic, dynamic, growing company, please send me your CV to angela.purcell@just-eat.co.uk

Contact me for for information!

14 Aug 2013 - 21:50
Jonda17568's picture

Thomson sales people' were the best and most highly trained individuals in the UK, I think that Google has ruined the directory market and were the wrong people to jump into bed with. Short term it brought in a few pounds, long term the end was not too far away.

14 Aug 2013 - 21:51
hmuirhead

Its a sad day for us all. It's been a difficult time and I have met lovely people. Goodbye Thomsons.

14 Aug 2013 - 22:31
seanh78049's picture

I Hope The people at the top who new What was going on sleep well tonight, i have some money tucked away unlike many others ! , We were driven to get revenue till the very end im sure the people residing over the company knew we were not even going to get paid for this months work, i hope all the senior accounts people the new co took with them today do well for themselves unfortunately some will not as adequate training was never provided to help with the transition from print to digital ( which ultimately was the downfall ) some do not even know what a title tag on a website is ! (unforgivable for a media company ) but the spineless "leaders " we ended up with shame on you ! no communication no regard for fellow human beings no idea ! losers who were more interested in playing out petty politics instead of getting things done perhaps if our business had of had more of a can do attitude we would all of been OK, i believe they have kept some of the most obstructive people good luck with that i hope they can modify their behaviors as we all have families they let the most motivational and inspiring man in the smt go over a month ago wish i had listened to my gut then so long all my wonderful colleagues !

14 Aug 2013 - 23:12
jocgr10215's picture

wish you all well .I was one to go after 27 years of being a top performer, no loyalty.

19 Aug 2013 - 14:06
angel19187's picture

@jocgr10215 If anyone is looking for a new job opportunity working for a fantastic, dynamic, growing company, please send me your CV to angela.purcell@just-eat.co.uk

Contact me for for information!

14 Aug 2013 - 22:58
Ianto19254's picture

It's a sad sad day!

Goodbye Thomson Local!

Thanks for a wonderful opportunity!

No regrets just lots of happy memories!

And lots of great friends!

Ian To , (Southend)

15 Aug 2013 - 00:58
racha12855's picture

What a truley devastating day. Not only did i love my job and love the Thomson spirit i really loved helping my customers and getting their phone ringing. goodbye to all my great buddies and goodbye thomson local. deeply saddened :(

19 Aug 2013 - 14:06
angel19187's picture

@racha12855 If anyone is looking for a new job opportunity working for a fantastic, dynamic, growing company, please send me your CV to angela.purcell@just-eat.co.uk

Contact me for for information!

15 Aug 2013 - 06:36
jocgr10215's picture

A sad day after 27 years.A total shock as we were driven to sell untill the very end.The people at the top must have known they were not going to pay our bonuses as the plug was pulled a few weeks before yearly bonus were due.I have enjoyed every day of working with the company and shocked that they would treat such loyal people in this way,

19 Aug 2013 - 14:05
angel19187's picture

Contact me for for information!@jocgr10215

15 Aug 2013 - 08:40
angie20704's picture

I left Thomson's 6 years ago after 38 loyal years, by my own choice, as I could see the writing on the wall, as flash new directors came in from Talk Talk who didn't have a bloody clue about advertising!! I never regretted leaving, but was broken hearted at leaving my friends and colleagues, we are a very loyal bunch of employees. Any business that can snap up an ex-Thomson rep, will be very lucky, as our work ethics and fantastic training from years ago, stays with us for ever! Guys .... you WILL get over this bombshell, and life will be great, as dozens of other ex-employees have found out. Good luck to you all Angie P x

15 Aug 2013 - 18:40
Studi84356's picture

@angie20704 I think it was not listening enough to 'the talk talk' people which screwed them up. Couldn't disagree with your comment more!

Print in decline and mr talk talk launched thomsonlocalmoney.com and calls u control. Both of which got shut down by the next CEO a Thomson 'heritage employee'

Today "compare the money supermarket meerkats" are darlings of the sector and tdl missed an opportunity to evolve. Instead they probably listened to people like you, got wrapped up in internal bureaucracy and seat realised they bought a dog for £450m.... Today worthless.

If there are any directors staying on under new owners it will scream a scam to rid themselves of debt. Staff can't respect any Italian to run the organisation that didn't listen to the innovators.

15 Aug 2013 - 18:42
Studi84356's picture

I di agree with everything else you say though!

19 Aug 2013 - 13:43
carolstuckey50

@Studi84356 The CEO is still there tis a scam the company that took over was set up a few weeks ago. They used our wages and screwed us over for expenses. Gautam and Simon may you rot

19 Aug 2013 - 13:46
carolstuckey50

@Studi84356 Angie the talk talk boys still there used our wages and expenses to make sure they were ok may Gautam and Simon rot

15 Aug 2013 - 10:38
Patsy12261's picture

15 Aug 2013 - 09:59
Adamb79429's picture

Contact me @Patsy12261 if you are in digital sales and a top performer 0780 575 5029. Adam

15 Aug 2013 - 08:49
press18158's picture

Good luck to all ex Thomson employees I for one loved every minute of working with you all... Always look back with fun filled memories and laughter. A sad end to such a fabulous company.

15 Aug 2013 - 09:48
Alexp20876's picture

I've been gone since 2009 but I had many happy years at TDL and sad to hear the news! I made and still have fantastic friends I met during my time at TDL! For those who have been laid off, don't fear, life goes on and there are great jobs out there and you have TDL on your CV which, trust me is very powerful! Good luck to you all!!

15 Aug 2013 - 11:31
infon17770's picture

Anyone made redundant who was working with Thomson New Connections and looking for work email us a CV info@newbusinessdata.co.uk ... And Good Luck to everyone else who is now looking for employment.

15 Aug 2013 - 12:08
darre77930's picture

Anyone that has been made redundant from Thomsons that needs assistance getting a new role please email me at darren@piscesrecruitment.co.uk. I have recruited for the business for over 20 years and know how good you guys are. I have many contacts and would love to assist you in your job search.

15 Aug 2013 - 15:40
coral15405's picture

This is really sad news and I am sorry for those who may find themselves in the vulnerable position of redundancy. Mode is currently expanding and we will shortly be looking for team members in Doncaster, Sheffield and Leeds. Please email CV/cover to info@mode.mg Hope this is another opportunity that gives hope and having directory backgrounds ourselves, we understand the work put in to maintain success in the industry. For those not interested in Mode, all our luck goes with you. Those that are, look forward to hearing from you. Coral Keers, MD, Mode.

16 Aug 2013 - 05:02
carolstuckey50

What I would like to know is why are they advertising vacancies in South Wales having just made nearly the whole team redundant? Gautam an answer please

16 Aug 2013 - 19:09
Webbjf

Hi I work for the market leading online advertising agency if anyone is looking to work in a great environment with fantastic people, please call me on 07747 444492 Jason or send your CV to webbjf@aol.com

19 Aug 2013 - 14:04
angel19187's picture

Contact me for for information!

19 Aug 2013 - 15:56
peter19422's picture

Herald & Times Group are looking for talented, digitally aware media solutions sales people right now, in Glasgow. A variety of roles and starting salaries. We'd be delighted to hear from any Thomson Local execs who need a new challenge! http://www.s1jobs.com/job/494056446.html

19 Aug 2013 - 16:31
chris18658's picture

Hi, this is very sad news and I am truly sorry for anyone who has lost their jobs. If anyone is looking for a new opportunity, I work with some of the most celebrated industry leaders within the Digital Media industry, so if I can be of any help, please feel free to send your CV to me at: christina@aurasales.co.uk - Thanking you in advance.

19 Aug 2013 - 17:56
robth73536's picture

I was made redundant from Lloyds TSB back in 2006 and can fully empathise with the comment made by DavidPickup01, Patsy12810, carolstuckey50, seanh78049, jocgr10215 and others.

With large companies like this loyalty is often a "one way street" and those same "super tankers" that cannot evolve quickly enough (as the hierarchy often don't have a clue) take it out on those who cannot defend themselves and hide behind management speak like "right sizing!!"

Rant over :) However, hopefully you all can turn a crisis into an opportunity and look to find a company that is growing quickly, can use your talents and provide the loyalty in return you are looking for.

We're also looking to recruit successful ex Thomson employees to work with us here in the South West.

We've grown 30% year on year and are forecast to grow in excess of 50% this year based on adapting to, and exploiting the opportunities that Google and digital marketing provide rather than falling victim to them.

So if you're interested in a dynamic career where your existing skills and competencies can be put to good use immediately then send your CV to rob.thomas@wsi-emarketing.com If that doesn't take your fancy, no problem but let me wish you all the very best for the future in any event - my thought are with you at this trying time.

1 Sep 2013 - 14:20
colet16092's picture

If anyone is looking for a Field Sales Position with a rapidly growing company at the fore front of the UK Merchant Services industry, contact me! colette.lamb@retailmerchantservices.co.uk

RMS are the UKs leading independent provider of payment processing, chip and pin solutions to the SME market. We have positions nationwide for high performing sales professionals and have many ex Thomsons' staff already in situ earning £50K+ OTE.

Get in touch colette.lamb@retailmerchantservices.co.uk

RS Components - the Gift of Invention

23/12/2014
Founded in 1937, RS Components is part of the...

Sports Bra Award Win

19/12/2014
Our super-star lingerie client, Wacoal Eveden, is...

Malibu - creating the perfect brand moment to enhance engagement

17/12/2014
The challenge How do you change customers’ perception of...

Driving Sales From Social During Black Friday

16/12/2014
The craze of Black Friday crossed the pond and hit the UK...

BREACH: LETS JACK

16/12/2014
‘Jack’ – the infectious track by British producer Breach...